WEST POINT – Charles E. Bennett, 70, passed away Friday, May 17, 2013, at Baptist Memorial Medical Center-GT, in Columbus. He was born July 31, 1942, in Chickasaw County to Willie Frances Nichols and Melvin Floyd Bennett Sr. He was a fitter welder for Ellis Steel for 18 years. He was a member of Bethel Baptist Church in Aberdeen and a Veteran of Mississippi National Guard, retiring in June 1991. He served in the 223 Battlion at Houston. He married Robbie Sutherland Bennett on Nov. 29, 1985, in Chickasaw County in Houston.
Services will be at 2 p.m. Sunday at Calvert Funeral Home Chapel with Bro. Danny Washington officiating, assisted by Bro. John Ray Hamilton. Burial will follow in Memorial Garden Cemetery West Point.
Survivors include wife, Robbie Bennett of West Point; four daughters, Robbie Lynn Tutor (Stanley) of Houlka, Angela Hester (Danny) of Pontotoc, Stacey Armstrong (Ray) and Pamela Briscoe (Jeff) all of Grenada; two sons, Matthew Bennett (Janice) of Pontotoc and Jason Brown (Stephanie) of Saltillo; 23 grandchildren; 16 great grandchildren; and one sister, Ruth Bennett Reedy of Grenada.
Preceding him in death were his grandson, Timothy Coats; his parents; and brother, Melvin Floyd Bennett Jr.
Pallbearers will be James Reedy, Barry Reedy, Eric Fretwell, Joey Fretwell, Kenneth Fretwell, and William Hamilton. Honorary Pallbearers will be Bobby Fretwell, Tommy Williams, Earl Gilreath, Kenneth Mobley, Ralph Coggins and Alvin Griffin.
Visitation is 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sunday at the funeral home.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- EDITORIAL: Collecting old fines, collecting on promises April 28, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The Square May 1, 2016
- CARA CHISM: Let’s work together for community May 1, 2016
- SCORES: Baseball Saturday, April 30 May 1, 2016
- Southeast moves closer to fire district May 2, 2016
- Houston to host National Day of Prayer today May 5, 2016
- Jones to play in NFL with with Kansas City May 5, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Balancing act May 5, 2016
- Mississippi black bears are on the move May 3, 2016
- DAN MULLEN: ‘No intention of ever leaving’ May 3, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago