Houston Lady Toppers need two wins today
EDITOR’S NOTE: Keep checking back with chickasawjournal.com for today’s game updates.
Game 2 of the best-of-three title series is scheduled for noon today at Freedom Ridge Park. Game 3, if necessary, would follow at a time to be determined.
“Aggressive play, that’s our game,” Chaney said. “It’s just pressure ball. That’s what we try to do.”
The Lady Cougars (29-4), who recorded eight stolen bases, had nine hits, including doubles by Ashton Lampton and Darby Bishop.
They also benefited from five Houston errors. Four of those came in Newton County’s 9-run third inning.
“We had some errors in that one big inning; that’s not like us,” Lady Hilltoppers coach Keith Jernigan said. “They did everything right today and we didn’t.”
Houston (26-7) starting pitcher Audi Dendy was lifted in the third inning. Jernigan wants his right-hander, who’s now 16-4, fresh for a possible two games today.
The Lady Hilltoppers reached Newton County pitching – starter Darby Bishop and reliever Dal-merika King – for eight hits. Mary Kansas Sullivan had a first-inning double and Yasmeen Cooper added a second-inning triple off Bishop.
Talaja Echoles belted a solo home run to right field in the fifth inning against King.
Newton County broke open a 1-1 game with its nine-run third inning. Shelby Barrett and Shea Alexander plated three of the runs with base hits. Three more scored on Houston errors, one on a passed ball and one on a fielder’s choice ground ball.
Lampton added an RBI single and Alexander had an RBI sacrifice fly in the Lady Cougars’ 4-run fourth inning.
Houston will have to sweep today to defend its title.
“These girls are used to winning,” Jernigan said. “Now they’ve got to step back up. We’ve got to come back and be ready to play.
“They’re down right now, but they’re warriors.”
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- EDITORIAL: Collecting old fines, collecting on promises April 28, 2016
- CARA CHISM: Let’s work together for community May 1, 2016
- SCORES: Baseball Saturday, April 30 May 1, 2016
- Southeast moves closer to fire district May 2, 2016
- Houlka names consolidation commissioners May 2, 2016
- Lady Toppers down Senatobia May 5, 2016
- Houston to host National Day of Prayer today May 5, 2016
- Jones to play in NFL with with Kansas City May 5, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Balancing act May 5, 2016
- Mississippi black bears are on the move May 3, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago