Fatality reported in Wednesday night accident
Five people were also transported to local hospitals, including a six-month-old infant, following the three-vehicle wreck that blocked the highway for a little more than an hour.
“Around 11:30 PM a west-bound black, 2001 Nissan Maxima driven by 19-year-old Keana Brown, from Nettleton, was traveling west on Egypt Road,” said Cpl. Criss Turnipseed, spokesman for the Mississippi Highway Patrol. “The Maxima experienced a mechanical issue as it attempted to cross US 45 Alt. and stalled in the south bound lanes.
Turnipseed said a white, 1999 Honda Accord driven by Alisha Hunter, 28, from West Point was traveling south on Hwy. 45 and struck the Maxima.
“The Accord came to rest on the shoulder of the highway after the collision,” said Turnipseed. “A south-bound red, 2000 Freightliner driven by 58 year old male from Nacogdoches, Texas was attempting to avoid the Maxima and overturned.”
Turnipseed said the Freightliner then collided with both the Maxima and the Accord.
“The driver of the Freightliner was pronounced dead at the scene by the Chickasaw County Coroner,” said Turnipseed. “Ms. Hunter, the driver of the Accord, was transported to NMMC for treatment of moderate injuries.”
Turnipseed said Brown and three other passengers, including the six-month-old were driven by a privately owned vehicle to Pioneer Medical Center in Aberdeen. He said the infant was later sent to Lebonheur Children’s Hospital in Memphis.
“We are not relasing the name of the 18-wheeler driver, pending notification of next of kin in Texas,” said Turnipseed. “The accident is still under investigation by the Mississippi Highway Patrol.”
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- EDITORIAL: Tourism Tax Facts May 19, 2016
- Commission meets, offers concerns on consolidation May 23, 2016
- Houston wins state baseball championship May 23, 2016
- CONSOLIDATION: The Commission May 23, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Tourism tax and consolidation May 23, 2016
- NEWS BRIEFS: Feeding program, driver’s license and county election commissioners May 25, 2016
- Pugh earns WBC Business Award May 25, 2016
- JAY HUGHES: Threats and promises from lawmakers May 24, 2016
- State of the Region meeting set for May 26 May 24, 2016
- Okolona addresses blighted property May 24, 2016
- Michael Mcalpin: As a kid I spent many an afternoon in the fire sta...
- Hang Abarca: Hi Sharmaine! my work colleague filled in a blank ...
- Sharmaine Sartor: Useful commentary . I learned a lot from the analy...
- Lahoma Stapleton: Hi smithjasmine. I got ahold of a template CG 20 3...
- smithjasmine: Timely ideas , I loved the details . Does someone ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago