Fallen Officer’s honored May 16
HOUSTON – Chickasaw County native and Mississippi Attorney General Jim Hood will speak at the Mississippi Fallen Officers Memorial Service set for May 16 at Fair Park in Tupelo.
The service is held at different locations and this marks the 15th year for the ceremony that will see all 98 names of fallen law enforcement officers read at the event.
“These men and women served us in life and we need to remember them” said John Harmon, event coordinator. “We always urge the families of fallen officers to attend and we certainly want the public to attend this event.”
Harmon saw his son, a Tupelo jailer, killed while on duty a number of years ago. He said the annual memorial service is his way of visiting with his son and remembering his life and service to the community.
“I’ve been in law enforcement since 1976, served under two sheriff’s and as coroner was named sheriff when two of them died in office,” said Harmon. “The work is demanding and dangerous and everyone who pins on a badge knows it can take your life.”
Harmon said the May 16 ceremony begins at 6:30 p.m. with an honor guard presenting a wreath in the shape of a gold star. He said this will be followed by the raising of the American Flag, the National Anthem, and then Hood will speak.
Following the roll call of fallen officers, Taps will be played, Amazing Grace will be played on the bagpipes and then a 21-gun salute.
Harmon pointed out two new names will be added to the Mississippi Fallen Officers Memorial list this year.
“We will wrap up the evening with a release of blue balloons as the sun goes down,” said Harmon.
For more information about the event call 1-888-915-7788
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Fuller Center cyclist pedal through Houston. April 23, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Collecting old fines, collecting on promises April 28, 2016
- A perfect festival April 28, 2016
- Lady Toppers tripped by Lady Wolverines April 28, 2016
- Rams fall short on Senior Night April 28, 2016
- Fast moving front rattles Chickasaw County April 29, 2016
- Chickasaw County no longer under tornado warning April 29, 2016
- JIM HOOD: Ignoring needs is not good government April 29, 2016
- Tunsil says he took money from an Ole Miss coach April 29, 2016
- NFL DRAFT: Tunsil falls to Miami in coach pay scandal, Jones misses 1st Round April 29, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago