Lady Toppers sweep Lady Panthers
Lady Toppers rally for the win
Houston girls come from behind to sweep series
By Lisa Voyles
HOUSTON – The Houston Lady Toppers faced a strong Amory team in their first round of playoffs, but pulled off the win to advance to round two this week.
In Game One, the Lady Panthers drew first blood, putting a run on the board in the first inning, but the Houston girls posted three in the top of the fourth and added one more in th etop of the fifth for the lead. They allowed the Lady Pantehrs one more run in the bottom of the seventh before they closed the door for the 4-2 win.
Game two proved just as close and exciting if not more so.
The Lady Panthers had a 4-0 lead going into the fifth when the Lady Toppers got their rally going, but when they did it worked well enough to put four runs on the board and tie the game.
The 4-all tie sparked off the momentum changing fifth inning as the Lady Toppers defense locked down on the Lady Panthers. Madeline Burdine made a running catch on Bailey Boyd’s shot to short center field for the first out of the inning and Avery Springer, in relief, struck out Aynslee Willis for the second one. Chelsea Gates made the stop at short to hold Josie Booth to a single and Springer struck out Carley Westbrook to retire the side.
But the Lady Toppers had trouble plating a run in the bottom of the frame. Gates got a single and Mary Kansas Sullivan moved her to second on a sac bunt, but she was stranded there forcing the extra inning.
Westbrook started on second and advanced to third on a sac bunt by Erin Griffth, but Springer struck out Shelby Thornton and made a stop on the mound and flipped the ball to Audi Dendy on first to hold off the Lady Panthers.
Springer started on second in the bottom of the inning and Dendy reached on a bunt that sent Springer on to third. Tristen Graves came in to run for Dendy and stole second and Talaja Echoles reached, loading the bases.
Yasmeen Cooper’s shot to short caught Springer at home for the first out of the inning but left the bases loaded and Burdine’s sac fly sent Graves across the plate for the 5-4 win.
The Lady Toppers will face XXXXXX this week in the second round of playoffs and Coach Keith Jernigan said the team will be hard at work to prepare.
“We’re going to work a lot on hitting this week,” Jernigan said. “We’ve got to get our bats going. We had seven hits against Amory (in the second game) but didn’t put anything together until the fifth inning. We need our hitting to be consistent.”
Jernigan complimented the defense for staying on task until the end and getting the job done.
“Avery did a good job closing and finishing up,” Jernigan said. “Our defense is consistently strong. These kids know what they’re doing and they’re normally pretty good at making the big plays and overcoming errors.”
But Jernigan and the Lady Toppers don’t want to make errors against the Lady Vikings of North Pontotoc.
“We had a few errors against Amory and we’re going to work on eliminating them,” Jernigan said. “It’s mostly focusing and being consistent. North is a good hitting team we we’ll have to play them a solid defense.”
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- POLICE ROUNDUP: Houston man arrested for fraud. May 21, 2016
- Pugh earns WBC Business Award May 25, 2016
- NEWS BRIEFS: Feeding program, driver’s license and county election commissioners May 25, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Helping those who help us May 26, 2016
- Toppers’ Smith shuts out Newton May 26, 2016
- NANCY LOOME: Flat appropriations hurt schools May 28, 2016
- BIRTH: John Wyatt Parker May 28, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The best we can produce May 27, 2016
- Vardaman packs gym for graduation May 27, 2016
- Hebron clinches MAIS championship May 26, 2016
- Michael Mcalpin: As a kid I spent many an afternoon in the fire sta...
- Hang Abarca: Hi Sharmaine! my work colleague filled in a blank ...
- Sharmaine Sartor: Useful commentary . I learned a lot from the analy...
- Lahoma Stapleton: Hi smithjasmine. I got ahold of a template CG 20 3...
- smithjasmine: Timely ideas , I loved the details . Does someone ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago