When: May 17
What time: Begins at 5:30 p.m.
Who: Houston, New Albany and Shannon
Where: Topper Field in Houston
How Much: $5 admission
Format: Two regulation quarters versus each team; no special team or kicking except PAT with no rush.
When: May 10
Where: Charles Faulkner Field in Okolona
Who: Okolona vs. Amory
What time: 6:30 p.m.
New faces on the field
Reclassification adds, subtracts a few teams from local schedules
By Lisa Voyles
HOUSTON – Reclassification for the upcoming football season has shuffled a few teams around,but left most local schedules relatively stable.
For the Houston Hilltoppers, MHSAA reclassification hasn’t shortened drive time at all.
The Toppers will lose Louisville from the schedule as the Tigers moved down to 3A, but will pick up West Lauderdale in Collinsville, just outside of Meridian. The Knights will be the only unfamiliar team on the Toppers district schedule and went 2-8, 0-5 last season, but Coach William Cook isn’t going to let down the guard based on past statistics. He prefers to come ready every game.
“With our division, it’s still a very tough week-in and week-out,” Cook said.
The Toppers will keep Kociusko, Caldeonia, Leake Central and Noxubee County on the division schedule and familiar, local teams like Calhoun City, Okolona, CEast Webster, Ackermana and Eupora on the non-divison list. They will not face Bruce this year due to scheduling conflicts.
Wolverines return to North, Bears hunting elsewhere
The Chieftains will remain in 4-2A this season but will be without the Baldwyn Bearcats on their regular season schedule. They will also lose Hatley and Walnut from division play.
However, other team changes will put them in a tough division as they will face Ackerman, East Webster and Eupora along with Calhoun City and Bruce. As usual, Coach Calvin Aldridge has stacked his non-division schedule to prepare the team for division play.
“We have three 4A games and one 5A game with a team from Blytheville, Arkansas,” Aldridge said.
The reclassification brings East Webster back into the North. After several years of playing in the South State regions, Coach Doug Wilson knows their 2A schedule will be tough.
“Every opponent is good and rich with a lot of football winning traditions,” Wilson said. “We will have to play our best game eery Friday night. One thing for sure, if we do finish high enough to make playoffs, we will be battle tested.”
Pirates coming to town
In division 1-1A, the Houlka Wildcats and Vardaman Rams will see Tupelo Christian Prep and H.W. Byers move off the division schedule, but will gain Hamilton, “and Coffeevillle,” said Coach Justin Hollis.
The Pirates were on the Ram’s non-division schedule for regular season last year and the two met in playoffs where the Pirates squelched the Rams playoff plans.
Once again, division 1-1A is loaded with nine division games and the regular foes will return in Biggersville, Coldwater, Falkner, Smithville and Thrasher.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- EDITORIAL: Collecting old fines, collecting on promises April 28, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The Square May 1, 2016
- CARA CHISM: Let’s work together for community May 1, 2016
- SCORES: Baseball Saturday, April 30 May 1, 2016
- Southeast moves closer to fire district May 2, 2016
- Houston to host National Day of Prayer today May 5, 2016
- Jones to play in NFL with with Kansas City May 5, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Balancing act May 5, 2016
- Mississippi black bears are on the move May 3, 2016
- DAN MULLEN: ‘No intention of ever leaving’ May 3, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago