Flag retired in honor of Byars
In honor and memory
Houlka baseball team honors team mate and former coach
By Lisa Voyles
HOULKA – April 27 was a bittersweet day for the Houlka Wildcats as a team mate returned to the field and a memorial was dedicated to a beloved coach.
The Wildcats retired the flag that flew over the home field this season in honor of the late coach and teacher Jimbo Byars and presented it to his family members. Byars passed away November 2013 after a battle with cancer and the team dedicated their season to him in his memory. The flag was presented to Byars’ wife, Sonja, and sons, Joby and Sawyer.
The event marked Joby’s return to the ball field for the first time this season after he, Sawyer and Walker Winter were involved in a vehicle accident earlier this year.
As Joby rounded the corner into the dugout in his wheelchair, he asked with a smile, “Did you miss me?”
Coach Jimmy Guy McDonald presented the flag to Sonja Byars and a collage of photos and a baseball signed by the other team members to Joby in the brief ceremony prior to the Houlka/Shaw playoff game. McDonald said Joby’s return to Houlka put emotions running high.
“I couldn’t have gone too much deeper,” McDonald said.
Joby threw out the first pitch of the game to his brother, Sawyer, and saw his Wildcats sweep Shaw in the first round of playoffs.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- Houston to craft no-smoking ordinance May 17, 2016
- HLES Performs Nursery Rhymes and Possibilities May 22, 2016
- Toppers commit four errors in loss May 22, 2016
- Rob Marion scholarship established May 22, 2016
- Commission meets, offers concerns on consolidation May 23, 2016
- State of the Region meeting set for May 26 May 24, 2016
- Okolona addresses blighted property May 24, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Tourism tax and consolidation May 23, 2016
- CONSOLIDATION: The Commission May 23, 2016
- Houston wins state baseball championship May 23, 2016
- Michael Mcalpin: As a kid I spent many an afternoon in the fire sta...
- Hang Abarca: Hi Sharmaine! my work colleague filled in a blank ...
- Sharmaine Sartor: Useful commentary . I learned a lot from the analy...
- Lahoma Stapleton: Hi smithjasmine. I got ahold of a template CG 20 3...
- smithjasmine: Timely ideas , I loved the details . Does someone ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago