EWHS sports wrap
Tennis finishes regular season strong
By Brett Bailey
CUMBERLAND- East Webster had an extreamly great season this year, as the Wolverine netters finished 7-1 on the year and won their district.
They then defeated Union 5-2 in the first round of the State playoffs. Sadly, the Wovlerines lost 6-1 to the four-time defending State champs, Madison St. Joe in the second round. Coach Pam Champion was proud of her team and their accomplishments.
“They played hard all year and fought hard against St. Joe,” Champion said. “That was the best we have every played them. We lost four courts to tiebreakers.”
Despite the fact that East Webster won’t be making it to State as a team, there are 12 Wolverine players that will be visiting Jackson for the individual state championships.
Hayden Hill placed first in girl’s singles, as did Rhett Parker in boy’s singles. Holly Ellis and Taylor Davis were first in girl’s doubles, with Jon Hayden Hancock and Meagan Dean taking second. John Taylor Champion and Samuel Butler took first in boy’s doubles, followed by Charlie Brand and John Carpenter.
Clair Ferguson and Jake Wofford placed first in mixed doubles.
Lady Woverines advance to round two
In other news, the East Webster fast pitch softball team has advanced to the second round of the State playoffs.
They defeated Bruce in a best two-out-of-three matchup.
East Webster took Game One, 14-0, on Friday and Game Two, 2-0, on Saturday.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- PROM NIGHT 2016! April 24, 2016
- Rams fall short on Senior Night April 28, 2016
- Drug disposal day is Saturday April 28, 2016
- SCORES: Thursday, April 28 softball and baseball April 29, 2016
- Magazine available to community April 29, 2016
- CARA CHISM: Let’s work together for community May 1, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The Square May 1, 2016
- Murder/suicide ruled in Okolona Motel deaths April 30, 2016
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Musicians die but never the music April 30, 2016
- Fast moving front rattles Chickasaw County April 29, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago