WEST POINT – John Clifton Gable, 78, passed away on Wednesday, April 24, 2013, at Sanctuary Hospice House, in Tupelo. He was born Feb. 13, 1935, in Vardaman to Mattie Virginia McCullough and Waites Gable. He was a member of First United Methodist Church. He worked with USF&G Insurance Company for 36 years as an adjuster in Natchez, Greenwood, Greenville, Jackson and the state office in Meridian, serving as claims supervisor until his retirement in 1992. He was a graduate of the University of Mississippi, where he was a member of the Sigma Chi Fraternity and the Phi Sigma Pi Honor Scholarship Fraternity. He served in the Mississippi Army National Guard 223rd Engineer Battalion, when he was called to active duty during the Berlin Crisis. He married Kay Low Gable on June 16, 1963.
Memorial services will be at 2 p.m. Saturday at Calvert Funeral Home Chapel in West Point with the Rev. Jeff Shannon officiating. Burial will be made in Greenwood Cemetery at West Point. Calvert Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.
Survivors include wife of 50 years, Kay Low Gable of West Point; one daughter, Kelly Gable Conway, and one granddaughter, Claire Elizabeth Conway, both of Tupelo; three sisters-in-law, Sandra McGaugh (Boyd) of Greenville, Judy Cannon (James) of Greensborough, Ga., and Penny Crowson of Tupelo.
Memorials may be made to St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, P.O. Box 1818, Memphis, TN 38101 or to Sanctuary Hospice House, P.O. Box 2177, Tupelo, MS 38803.
Visitation will be from 1 p.m. until service time Saturday at Calvert Funeral Home.
Friends may leave an online condolence at www.calvertfuneralhome.com.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Okolona aldermen address downtown buildings April 25, 2016
- SCORES: Thursday, April 28 softball and baseball April 29, 2016
- Magazine available to community April 29, 2016
- NFL DRAFT: Tunsil falls to Miami in coach pay scandal, Jones misses 1st Round April 29, 2016
- Tunsil says he took money from an Ole Miss coach April 29, 2016
- SCORES: Baseball Saturday, April 30 May 1, 2016
- CARA CHISM: Let’s work together for community May 1, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The Square May 1, 2016
- Murder/suicide ruled in Okolona Motel deaths April 30, 2016
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Musicians die but never the music April 30, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago