WEST POINT – John Clifton Gable, 78, passed away on Wednesday, April 24, 2013, at Sanctuary Hospice House, in Tupelo. He was born Feb. 13, 1935, in Vardaman to Mattie Virginia McCullough and Waites Gable. He was a member of First United Methodist Church. He worked with USF&G Insurance Company for 36 years as an adjuster in Natchez, Greenwood, Greenville, Jackson and the state office in Meridian, serving as claims supervisor until his retirement in 1992. He was a graduate of the University of Mississippi, where he was a member of the Sigma Chi Fraternity and the Phi Sigma Pi Honor Scholarship Fraternity. He served in the Mississippi Army National Guard 223rd Engineer Battalion, when he was called to active duty during the Berlin Crisis. He married Kay Low Gable on June 16, 1963.
Memorial services will be at 2 p.m. Saturday at Calvert Funeral Home Chapel in West Point with the Rev. Jeff Shannon officiating. Burial will be made in Greenwood Cemetery at West Point. Calvert Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.
Survivors include wife of 50 years, Kay Low Gable of West Point; one daughter, Kelly Gable Conway, and one granddaughter, Claire Elizabeth Conway, both of Tupelo; three sisters-in-law, Sandra McGaugh (Boyd) of Greenville, Judy Cannon (James) of Greensborough, Ga., and Penny Crowson of Tupelo.
Memorials may be made to St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, P.O. Box 1818, Memphis, TN 38101 or to Sanctuary Hospice House, P.O. Box 2177, Tupelo, MS 38803.
Visitation will be from 1 p.m. until service time Saturday at Calvert Funeral Home.
Friends may leave an online condolence at www.calvertfuneralhome.com.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- POLICE ROUNDUP: Houston man arrested for fraud. May 21, 2016
- Pugh earns WBC Business Award May 25, 2016
- NEWS BRIEFS: Feeding program, driver’s license and county election commissioners May 25, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Helping those who help us May 26, 2016
- Toppers’ Smith shuts out Newton May 26, 2016
- NANCY LOOME: Flat appropriations hurt schools May 28, 2016
- BIRTH: John Wyatt Parker May 28, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The best we can produce May 27, 2016
- Vardaman packs gym for graduation May 27, 2016
- Hebron clinches MAIS championship May 26, 2016
- Michael Mcalpin: As a kid I spent many an afternoon in the fire sta...
- Hang Abarca: Hi Sharmaine! my work colleague filled in a blank ...
- Sharmaine Sartor: Useful commentary . I learned a lot from the analy...
- Lahoma Stapleton: Hi smithjasmine. I got ahold of a template CG 20 3...
- smithjasmine: Timely ideas , I loved the details . Does someone ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago