Investigation continues into homicide
The state crime lab has finished their initial investigation and has said Bevill died from multiple stab wounds and that he suffered defensive type wounds to his hands.
“We have been investigating this as a homicide since the beginning and the coroner’s report and information from the crime lab have confirmed that,” said Houston Police Chief Billy Voyles. “He was last seen in Walmart parking lot about 8:40 p.m. Saturday and the crime occurred sometime after that.”
Chickasaw County Coroner Andy Harmon said the autopsy report put Bevill’s death as either late Saturday night or early Sunday morning.
“We have not made an arrest at this time and we are actively investigating this,” said Voyles. “We are still asking people who may have information about this case or Mr. Bevill’s activities over the last couple of weeks to contact us.”
Bevill, 75, of 206 Aberdeen Road, was found in his home Monday after friends and family could not get him to come to the door. When Houston police made entry to the home they realized there had been a struggle and they were dealing with an apparent homicide.
A Mississippi Bureau of Investigation Crime Scene Unit and personnel were sent to process the scene and collected several bags of evidence.
Both Voyles and Harmon said authorities have developed several suspects and are checking numerous leads.
“No one wants to make an arrest more than me in this case,” said Voyles. “We are putting together our case and at this time all I can say is it is under investigation.”
Voyles did say police had been called to Bevill’s home a couple of weeks early to investigate the theft of prescription medicine. Voyles added it is not known if the two incidents are connected.
Voyles did say the crime was probably committed by someone who knew Bevill. He did not elaborate.
Both Voyles and Harmon said they think this homicide is an isolated incident, but they did urge residents to exercise caution and always lock doors and windows.
Authorities have not speculated on a motive or said if a weapon used in the crime has been recovered.
Officers with the Chickasaw County Sheriff’s Department and Houston Police Department are being briefed prior to regular shift changes on the latest leads and information.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Okolona aldermen address downtown buildings April 25, 2016
- Magazine available to community April 29, 2016
- NFL DRAFT: Tunsil falls to Miami in coach pay scandal, Jones misses 1st Round April 29, 2016
- Tunsil says he took money from an Ole Miss coach April 29, 2016
- JIM HOOD: Ignoring needs is not good government April 29, 2016
- Houlka names consolidation commissioners May 2, 2016
- Southeast moves closer to fire district May 2, 2016
- SCORES: Baseball Saturday, April 30 May 1, 2016
- CARA CHISM: Let’s work together for community May 1, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The Square May 1, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago