CAIRO – Johnnie Gates Newsum, 65, died Monday, April 8, 2013, at St. Francis Hospital in Memphis. He was a member of Cairo Baptist Church. He was retired from Piper Impact and the Mississippi National Guard. He was a security guard at Baptist Memorial Hospital in New Albany. He enjoyed hunting and fishing.
Services will be at 10 a.m. Friday at Browning Funeral Home Chapel in Pontotoc with the Rev. Ronnie Caldwell and Bro. Marty Browning officiating. Burial will follow in the Ecru Cemetery. Browning Funeral Home in Pontotoc is in charge of the arrangements.
Survivors include his wife, Charlotte Newsum of Walnut; his father, Robert G. “Bob” Newsum of Cairo; one son, Greg Newsum and Amanda of New Albany; one daughter, Jennifer Newsum Sims and Brian of Toccopola; one stepdaughter, Jona Caldwell of Walnut; six grandchildren, Megan Newsum, Josh Newsum, Andrew Newsum, Kyle Thomas, Kendall Herrington and Evan Sims; and three stepgrandchildren, Jessica Rixie, Tyler Rixie and Erica Rixie.
He was preceded in death by his mother, Doris Wilder Newsum; his sister, Glenda Newsum Koon; and a nephew, Brad Koon.
Pallbearers will be Justin Caldwell, Mar Alshargatis, Billy Ray Bailey, Mike Swords, Don Bailey and Keith Newsum. Chris Burks will be an honorary pallbearer.
Visitation will be from 5 to 8 p.m. Thursday and from 9 to 10 a.m. Friday at the funeral home.
Condolences may be offered at www.browningpontotoc.com.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Okolona celebrates graduation May 20, 2016
- Okolona addresses blighted property May 24, 2016
- State of the Region meeting set for May 26 May 24, 2016
- JAY HUGHES: Threats and promises from lawmakers May 24, 2016
- Pugh earns WBC Business Award May 25, 2016
- Vardaman packs gym for graduation May 27, 2016
- Hebron clinches MAIS championship May 26, 2016
- Toppers’ Smith shuts out Newton May 26, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Helping those who help us May 26, 2016
- NEWS BRIEFS: Feeding program, driver’s license and county election commissioners May 25, 2016
- Michael Mcalpin: As a kid I spent many an afternoon in the fire sta...
- Hang Abarca: Hi Sharmaine! my work colleague filled in a blank ...
- Sharmaine Sartor: Useful commentary . I learned a lot from the analy...
- Lahoma Stapleton: Hi smithjasmine. I got ahold of a template CG 20 3...
- smithjasmine: Timely ideas , I loved the details . Does someone ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago