Two charged with aggravated assault
Calhoun County Sheriff Greg Pollan said the incident began after the husband confronted his wife and another man at Moreland Cemetery near Slate Springs about 4:30 p.m. Wednesday.
“The victim called 911 and told us he had been stabbed and run over by a vehicle,” said Pollan. “We responded and found Mike Rutherford had been stabbed once in the left side and he had injuries to his legs after being run over.”
Pollan said Rutherford, of Slate Springs, was transported to Baptist Memorial Hospital – North Mississippi and was listed in stable condition Thursday.
Calhoun County deputies, along with Chickasaw County deputies and Okolona police, arrested Christina Rutherford, 35, of Okolona, and Phillip Earnest, 44, of CR 173 in Okolona early Wednesday night.
Both Christina Rutherford and Earnest are charged with aggravated assault and are in the Calhoun County Jail under no bond and awaiting arraignment.
“At this point in our investigation, it appears Mr. Rutherford confronted Mrs. Rutherford and Earnest got involved,” said Pollan. “We believe Earnest stabbed Mike Rutherford and Christina Rutherford then backed over Rutherford with a 2006 Nissan Altima and left the scene.”
Pollan said authorities are looking for the knife involved in the incident and “believe it to be similar to a pocketknife.”
Pollan said Calhoun County judges were in Philadelphia this week for training. He said Christina Rutherford and Earnest will probably be arraigned and bond set Friday.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Group digruntled by principal change April 22, 2016
- Hamby recognized for driving safety April 27, 2016
- FAFSA Fridays April 27, 2016
- Lady Hilltoppers crush Yazoo April 27, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Collecting old fines, collecting on promises April 28, 2016
- Tunsil says he took money from an Ole Miss coach April 29, 2016
- NFL DRAFT: Tunsil falls to Miami in coach pay scandal, Jones misses 1st Round April 29, 2016
- Magazine available to community April 29, 2016
- SCORES: Thursday, April 28 softball and baseball April 29, 2016
- Drug disposal day is Saturday April 28, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago