Real friends are hard to find
Rev. Darrick Whitfield
Daniel 3:8 (KJV)
8 Wherefore at that time certain Chaldeans came near, and accused the Jews.
12 There are certain Jews whom thou hast set over the affairs of the province of Babylon, Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego; these men, O king, have not regarded thee: they serve not thy gods, nor worship the golden image which thou hast set up.
Most folks can attest and most folks will agree when I say, “Real friends are hard to find”. You see, we deal with folks that will be there for you when they want to be there for you.
Folks don’t mind interrrupting your schedule but just don’t interrupt their schedule. They want you to attend their gatherings, they want you to be at their daughter’s birthday party, they want you at the bedside when they get sick, but when you get sick and need them, they are hard to find.
What I discovered is that most of us have different categories of friends. In other words, most of you have winter friends. These are the ones that stop by or give you a call when they want to. Some of you have mall friends. These are the ones that you only see while you are shopping. After that you only see them, meet them or talk to them when its shopping time again. But what we all need is someone who is all in one. A person who will be there for you when it’s cloudy outside, when you are going through something, when you are up and when you are down, when you have money and when you don’t have money.
The only one and true friend that I know is a man named Jesus.
In our lesson, King Nebuchadnezzar had built a big statue and he had placed it in a certain location where all could see it and at a certain time his people would sound an alarm and all would have to stop what they were doing and bow down to this earthly god. Real friends don’t try to steer you away from serving the one and only living God. Real friends don’t encourage you to stay out pass your curfew. Real friends don’t encourage you to steal and real friends don’t try to keep you away from God and doing service for him.
Notice the Chaldeans accused the Jews of not bowing down. It’s sad that folks walk around snooping in someone else business. People are more concerned about what’s going on in someone else life and not even sweeping up around their own house. We all have some faults and we all have some trash that needs to be taken out. So before you point a finger at someone else, take a look at self first.
Lastly, in verse 12, the real heart of the matter is exposed.
The Chaldeans had a problem with these Jews being in charge of certain affairs. Some folks will fall out with you just because you recieved a promotion, you were elevated to a supervisory position, or just because you have a newer car or house to live in. But a real and true friend will be happy for you. He will be proud that you are doing well and won’t be jealous of you.
I thank God that He is a true friend, He is the one that you can tell your deepest secret, He is the one that lifts you up.
According to John Chapter 15 and verse 14, Jesus said, “Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.”
Rev. Darrick Whitfield
Shady Grove M.B. Church, McCondy
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Commission meets, offers concerns on consolidation May 23, 2016
- Hebron clinches MAIS championship May 26, 2016
- Vardaman packs gym for graduation May 27, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The best we can produce May 27, 2016
- BIRTH: John Wyatt Parker May 28, 2016
- Moore signs with Miss. Delta CC May 30, 2016
- Houlka presents summer programs May 30, 2016
- CARA CHISOLM: There is a reason for Memorial Day May 29, 2016
- Houston Solar Car honored by Legislature May 29, 2016
- NANCY LOOME: Flat appropriations hurt schools May 28, 2016
- Michael Mcalpin: As a kid I spent many an afternoon in the fire sta...
- Hang Abarca: Hi Sharmaine! my work colleague filled in a blank ...
- Sharmaine Sartor: Useful commentary . I learned a lot from the analy...
- Lahoma Stapleton: Hi smithjasmine. I got ahold of a template CG 20 3...
- smithjasmine: Timely ideas , I loved the details . Does someone ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago