WEST POINT – Joanne Conerly Westbrook, 84, passed away Sunday, March 17, 2013, at North Mississippi Medical Center, in Tupelo. She was born March 4, 1929, in Monroe County to Ethel Adelaide Bush and Preston Johnston Conerly.
She worked at Clay County Health Department and later with her husband at Westbrook Grocery Store. She was the secretary at FUMC and a secretary at Clay County Chamber of Commerce. During all those years, she assisted her husband in soy bean and cattle farming. She was a graduate of Draughn Business College and of M.U.W. with a double major in business and psychology. She received her master’s degree from the College of Psychology at Liberty University with an emphasis in Christian Family Counseling.
She was a past Regent of the Horseshoe Robertson Chapter of the D. A. R. She was queen mother of the local chapter of the Red Hat Society. She was a member of First United Methodist Church where she taught Sunday school, She was a member of Lochie Millard Circle and had just hosted the circle for breakfast last December. She was a member of the Chancel Choir and later the Singspirations Senior Choir. She loved all three of her grandchildren and enjoyed sewing, collecting music boxes, playing tennis, traveling, target shooting, canoeing, camping and cooking for her family. She had traveled abroad to Paris and enjoyed several cruise ship tours. One of the highlights of her travels was to make a Western Tour by Rail and visiting along the way her brother in Utah. She married James Eugene Westbrook on Nov. 7, 1948, in Okolona. He preceded her in death on Jan. 25, 2003.
Services will be at 2 p.m. Wednesday at Calvert Funeral Home Chapel with the Rev. Jeff Shannon officiating. Burial will follow in Greenwood Cemetery in West Point. Calvert Funeral Home of West Point is in charge of arrangements.
Survivors include one daughter, Shelley Morgan (Keith) of Aberdeen; three grandchildren, Dixie Morgan, Buck Morgan and Jon Haney (Brandy); one great-granddaughter, Lillie Kate Hanes; one sister, Ruby Ballard of Pickensville, Ala.; and one brother, Jimmy Conerly (Joyce) of Myrtle Beach, N.C.
Preceding her in death were her grandson, Chris Haney; three brothers, Preston Conerly, Walter Conerly and Willie Conerly; and two sisters, Emma Roebuck, and Mamie Jackson.
Pallbearers will be Harper Maffet, Ralph Weems, Richard Ballard, Mahlon Geer, Bud Tumlinson, Billy Buck Staggers, Don Rushing and Kenny Dill.
Honorary pallbearers will be members of the Wesley Wasson Sunday School Class; her church family at First United Methodist Church; and all her friends in the D. A. R. statewide.
Memorials may be made to First United Methodist Church Youth Ministry, P.O. Box 293, West Point, MS 39773.
Visitation will be from 5 until 7 p.m. Tuesday at Calvert Funeral Home.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Houston to craft no-smoking ordinance May 17, 2016
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Slim dollars, opportunities for lazy Americans May 21, 2016
- HLES Performs Nursery Rhymes and Possibilities May 22, 2016
- Toppers commit four errors in loss May 22, 2016
- Rob Marion scholarship established May 22, 2016
- Okolona addresses blighted property May 24, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Tourism tax and consolidation May 23, 2016
- CONSOLIDATION: The Commission May 23, 2016
- Houston wins state baseball championship May 23, 2016
- Commission meets, offers concerns on consolidation May 23, 2016
- Michael Mcalpin: As a kid I spent many an afternoon in the fire sta...
- Hang Abarca: Hi Sharmaine! my work colleague filled in a blank ...
- Sharmaine Sartor: Useful commentary . I learned a lot from the analy...
- Lahoma Stapleton: Hi smithjasmine. I got ahold of a template CG 20 3...
- smithjasmine: Timely ideas , I loved the details . Does someone ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago