Locals win big at Dixie Nationals
HOUSTON – Local 4-H members recently competed at the 2013 Dixie National Junior Round-Up livestock earning a number of ribbons and one taking home a college scholarship.
Nicole Abrams was awarded the Dixie National Sale of Champions Scholarship by Gov. Phil Bryant and Commissioner of Agriculture and Commerce Cindy Hyde-Smith at the nationally known event in February.
Abrams also earned ribbons in other categories:
• First Place – Mississippi Bred Goat Medium Weight Commercial Doe
• First Place – Medium Weight Commercial Doe Goat.
• Second Place – Goat 17-18 age class Market Goat Showmanship.
• Second Place – Mississippi Bred Goat Light-Heavy Weight Market Goat.
• Sixth Place – Light-Heavy Weight Market Goat.
Abrams is the second 4-Her from Chickasaw County to earn the prestigious $1,500 scholarship. Katie Booth, of Chickasaw County, earned a similar scholarship four years ago.
The 2013 Dixie National Junior Round-Up livestock show saw 1,525 4-H members and FFA youth exhibit 2,248 head of livestock in junior breeding and marketing shows.
Youth put in many hours of hard work in their livestock projects that involve their families and 4-H and FFA volunteers. Livestock projects teach youth responsibility, marketing, planning and leadership.
Chickasaw County also saw three other winners take ribbons and prizes at the Dixie National Junior Round-up.
Sandy and Emma Garner, daughters of Jessie and Miriam Garner, represented Chickasaw County in the Dairy Division.
Emma Garner earned First Place in Winter Yearling Heifer Class, Honorable Mention Junior Champion with Governors Cornerston Natasha. She also earned Third Place in 8-year-old Dairy Cattle Showmanship.
Sandy Garner earned First Place in Spring Heifer Class, Reserve Jr. Champion with Governors Cornerstone Sonya. She took Fifth Place in Two-Year-Old Cow Class with Centurion Cornerstone Clarabell. She also won Eighth Place in Showmanship.
Shelby Abrams, daughter of Doug and Angie Abrams, earned the following awards with her goat livestock project. She took First Place in the 12-year-old age class Market Goat Showmanship and First Place in the Mississippi Bred Lightweight Market Goat. Abrams also earned a Second Place award in Mississippi Bred Lightweight Commercial Doe Goat and a Third Place ribbon in Lightweight Market Goat.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Group digruntled by principal change April 22, 2016
- HLES names 3rd nine week honor roll April 26, 2016
- Pellet gun prompts Middle School lockdown April 26, 2016
- Hamby recognized for driving safety April 27, 2016
- FAFSA Fridays April 27, 2016
- Drug disposal day is Saturday April 28, 2016
- Rams fall short on Senior Night April 28, 2016
- Lady Toppers tripped by Lady Wolverines April 28, 2016
- A perfect festival April 28, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Collecting old fines, collecting on promises April 28, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago