Toppers split with Tigers
HOUSTON – The Hilltoppers split division games last week with Louisville and took a healthy win over Starkville on their way into tournament action over spring break.
March 5 saw the Toppers head to Louisville a day earlier than scheduled to try to work in a division game before the rains came in. The Tigers posted a run in the first inning and the Topper matched it to tie in the second. Houston went head in the top of the fifth, 2-1, but the Tigers had a big five-run inning to retake the lead.
Houston battled back in the top of the sixth closing the gap to 6-5, but the Tigers added two more in the bottom of the frame and held off the Houston boys for the 8-5 win.
Peyton Callahan and Austin Burdine each had a double and Sharone Wright had a triple in the effort.
In a rematch March 8, the tide turned in the Toppers direction with Houston drawing first blood and two runs in the second and fourth inning then adding another in the fifth for a 5-0 shutout.
Kyle Wilson got the win on the hill while Kody Kimbrough and Denver McQuary had a double each.
The win put the Hilltoppers at 6-1 on the season and 1-1 in league play.
The Houston boys wrapped up their week in Starkville where they dealt the Yellowjackets a 3-1 defeat.
The Toppers scored in the top of the second and the Yellowjackets tied it in the bottom of the fifth, forcing an extra inning. The eighth inning proved beneficial to the Toppers as they scored two runs and held off the Yellowjackets for the win.
Austin Burdine pitched six innings and Sharone Wright came in for two to clinch the win.
Blake Johns had a double in the effort while Kimbrough and Wright each got an RBI.
The Hilltoppers won’t have any downtime over spring break as they headed to Northeast, ICC and Saltillo for tournament action this week.
They will be back in division play March 19 hosting Kosciusko.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- Houston to craft no-smoking ordinance May 17, 2016
- HLES Performs Nursery Rhymes and Possibilities May 22, 2016
- Toppers commit four errors in loss May 22, 2016
- Rob Marion scholarship established May 22, 2016
- Commission meets, offers concerns on consolidation May 23, 2016
- State of the Region meeting set for May 26 May 24, 2016
- Okolona addresses blighted property May 24, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Tourism tax and consolidation May 23, 2016
- CONSOLIDATION: The Commission May 23, 2016
- Houston wins state baseball championship May 23, 2016
- Michael Mcalpin: As a kid I spent many an afternoon in the fire sta...
- Hang Abarca: Hi Sharmaine! my work colleague filled in a blank ...
- Sharmaine Sartor: Useful commentary . I learned a lot from the analy...
- Lahoma Stapleton: Hi smithjasmine. I got ahold of a template CG 20 3...
- smithjasmine: Timely ideas , I loved the details . Does someone ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago