LOCAL FOCUS: Mugs on Main
The mission at Mugs on Main is to bring community together and if they can sell a cup of coffee and a cookie along the way, that’s great.
Mugs on Main opened at the front of Excel Common’s senior adult center a little over a year ago as a venue for older residents of Okolona to gather each morning to chat and as a reason to get up early and start enjoying the day.
“It really is all about bringing people together,” said Sister Liz Brown. “We built it and people started coming. We’ve been pleased with its success.”
Brown said when the concept for Mugs on Main was formed, people looked around and realized there was nothing in Okolona or Chickasaw County that could be classified as a coffee shop. The business now sports from 20 to 30 regular senior adult customers a day, plus the walk-ins from downtown and around the community.
Cappuccinos, regular coffee, flavored coffees, hot chocolate and a variety of teas grace the morning drink menu as well as cookies and specialty baked goods.
“Mary Chavez is here bright and early each morning to serve,” said Brown. “We buy cookies, cakes and the occasional cherry turnover from a Mennonite family who cooks them fresh and delivers every day.”
Brown said they don’t cater or deliver, but are glad to handle special orders if given enough lead-time and customers keeps it simple.
“The mission of bringing people together is just as important as the bottom line,” said Brown. “Our senior adults come here in the morning and then move on to the back of the building for events that range from computer classes and health seminars to energy conservation tips and financial counseling.”
Mugs on Main has south-facing glass windows that allow the sun to shine in on clear days. Freshly painted walls sport local art and tables have cloth covers and comfortable straight-backed chairs.
“We work very hard to make it a pleasant place for people to gather,” said Brown. “We can solve a lot of the world’s problems and the things that pull communities apart when we agree to sit down together and talk about it over a cup of coffee.”
Local Focus is a regular business feature of the Chickasaw Journal. Locally owned businesses wanting to be included in Local Focus should call the Chickasaw Journal at 456-3771.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Okolona aldermen address downtown buildings April 25, 2016
- SCORES: Thursday, April 28 softball and baseball April 29, 2016
- Magazine available to community April 29, 2016
- NFL DRAFT: Tunsil falls to Miami in coach pay scandal, Jones misses 1st Round April 29, 2016
- Tunsil says he took money from an Ole Miss coach April 29, 2016
- SCORES: Baseball Saturday, April 30 May 1, 2016
- CARA CHISM: Let’s work together for community May 1, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The Square May 1, 2016
- Murder/suicide ruled in Okolona Motel deaths April 30, 2016
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Musicians die but never the music April 30, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago