Henson graduates from Fire Academy
OKOLONA — Serving his community is Joseph Henson’s goal as Okolona’s newest firefighter.
Henson, an Okolona native, has taken a part-time post with the Okolona Fire Department after finishing his training at the Mississippi Fire Academy in February.
“I have been a volunteer firefighter and then I served a couple of tours in the Army,” said Henson. “After being overseas a couple of time I was ready to get back home and help the people I know as a firefighter.”
Henson said he got his first taste of a career as a firefighter as an Explorer with the local Boy Scout post. He said he became a volunteer, got a little training and started showing up for fires.
But Henson said his training at the state fire academy has greatly enhanced his ability to help the community and other firefighters.
“Going to a fire now, compared to when I was a volunteer, is like daylight and dark,” said Henson. “The fire academy training introduces you to so many different threats and shows you what to look for, how to respond and how to keep the public, yourself and fellow firefighters from getting hurt.”
The six-week training at the fire academy was heavy on safety and equipment training.
“I think the training in the heat building where you actually got to see and feel the flames was the best and most eye opening,” said Henson. “You need a healthy amount of fear to stay safe, but your training helps you overcome much of the fear and respond appropriately.”
Henson learned everything from fire characteristics and explosive threats to equipment care and use.
The training also included one week of hazardous material handling and fire suppression in both a highway and industrial setting.
Okolona Fire Chief Terry Tucker said it all boils down to training.
“When things get hot and start popping, you really have to rely on your training,” said Tucker. “And when you know the guy next to you is properly trained it allows you to do your job with more confidence.”
And Henson is no rookie to threats having served one tour in Iraq and two in Afghanistan as an Army scout.
Henson, 25, is the son of the Judy Henson and the late Johnny Henson. He still serves part-time with the Mississippi National Guard.
The Okolona Fire Department is made up of four full-time firefighters and three part-time firefighters. The department also has about 12 active volunteers.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Okolona aldermen address downtown buildings April 25, 2016
- SCORES: Thursday, April 28 softball and baseball April 29, 2016
- Magazine available to community April 29, 2016
- NFL DRAFT: Tunsil falls to Miami in coach pay scandal, Jones misses 1st Round April 29, 2016
- Tunsil says he took money from an Ole Miss coach April 29, 2016
- SCORES: Baseball Saturday, April 30 May 1, 2016
- CARA CHISM: Let’s work together for community May 1, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The Square May 1, 2016
- Murder/suicide ruled in Okolona Motel deaths April 30, 2016
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Musicians die but never the music April 30, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago