Homemakers Club meets at Museum
By Jan Dyson
Special to the Chickasaw Journal
HOUSTON — The ladies of the Chickasaw County Homemakers Club were surprised at the history, records and artifacts that fill seven rooms in the Chickasaw County Historical and Genealogical Society.
Houston’s best kept secret lighted the faces of the ladies as they strolled through the building building at 731 West Church Street and they were astonished to see existing county and city records dating back to the 1860’s.
The tour was part of the Chickasaw County Homemakers Club February meeting.
Homemakers Club members were surprised to see shelves filled with research books from many states, along with quarterlies from different states and counties, books on Indians, old maps and many family histories.
Club members were also glad to know there was help from the genealogy members in tracing their family tree. The Homemakers Club plans to have another meeting in the new building located across the street from Joe Brigance Park when it is complete.
The Chickasaw County Historical and Genealogical Society have approximately 20 active and volunteer members and are anxious to complete the move to their new location in Joe Brigance Park. The organizations total membership is approximately 125 including residents from 26 states.
The Historical Society is winding down construction at its new location, but can’t make the move until they have raised money for the heating and cooling system. Also, the new building cannot open until a security system has been purchased and installed.
The Historical Society urges the community to consider making a contribution and any and all donations will gladly be accepted.
The new museum is not just for the Genealogical and Historical Society but is for everyone in the county and beyond.
It is the desire of the membership to inspire and help others with their family research, to teach them where to look for information, collect family data and use the new museum for teaching area school children of their heritage.
Untold hours have been spent with research, cataloguing, and collecting artifacts by the membership.
Other community clubs who would like to tour or meet at the museum, or have the Historical Society present a program on the mission and purpose of the museum, are asked to contact a Historical Society member to set a date.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- HLES Performs Nursery Rhymes and Possibilities May 22, 2016
- NEWS BRIEFS: Feeding program, driver’s license and county election commissioners May 25, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Helping those who help us May 26, 2016
- Toppers’ Smith shuts out Newton May 26, 2016
- Hebron clinches MAIS championship May 26, 2016
- Houston Solar Car honored by Legislature May 29, 2016
- NANCY LOOME: Flat appropriations hurt schools May 28, 2016
- BIRTH: John Wyatt Parker May 28, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The best we can produce May 27, 2016
- Vardaman packs gym for graduation May 27, 2016
- Michael Mcalpin: As a kid I spent many an afternoon in the fire sta...
- Hang Abarca: Hi Sharmaine! my work colleague filled in a blank ...
- Sharmaine Sartor: Useful commentary . I learned a lot from the analy...
- Lahoma Stapleton: Hi smithjasmine. I got ahold of a template CG 20 3...
- smithjasmine: Timely ideas , I loved the details . Does someone ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago