By Avery Springer
Special to the Chickasaw Journal
HOUSTON – In July of 2004, a group of sweaty, round-faced little girls stepped offf a softball field undefeated, proud and confident.
We were World Series champions and a little cocky to say the least. I though we had conqured the world. Little did I know at that time what a large part of my life softball would consume over the next ten years.
we have traveled all over Mississippi and the surrounding states having a ball while playing the game we love. We have had various team names such as Diamond Bratz, Little Sluggers, Houston All-Stars and eventually Houston Heat, but no matter what the name, everyone knew Houston came to play and usually win.
Over the course of these years we have a resume which includes eight State titles, four World Series championship and have accumulated more wins in tournaments and single game than I can remember. We have made a lot of friends and maybe even a few enemies.
Since entering the seventh grade and beginning to play high school ball, it was always a spoken goal of ours that we would win a fast-itch high school State Championship one day. We wanted the rings!
We came really close several times only to fall short of that championship game. Time was running out, so in 2012 when we started compiling a lot of victories, we began to think this might be our year. By the time play-offs rolled around we had only one defeat which was to New Hope, a strong 5A contender.
We began to believe more than ever this was our time. I even opened my big mouth during a television interview and announced this was our year. No more runners-up!
The pressure was on, but that’s when we seem to play our best. Somehow though sheer will, determination and most importantly, God’s grace, in 2012 we hugged the infield as we celebrated our long awaited dream. With a record of 34-2, we weren’t perfect, but we were State Champions.
All the hours of hard work had paid off. You could say we accomplished our dream, but it’s a lot more special than that. Yeah, we got those big rings we always wanted, but we also made memories and friendships that will last a lifetime.
We have six players from our original 2004 and eight starters returning from our state championship team this year. Losing our senior pitcher leaves a big hole to fill, so I’m not going to promise another state championship, but I will make this promise. I promise that when a team plays Houston, they will be playing a team that leaves it all on the field. A team that comes to win and expects to win every time we step on the field.
Do we think we can win another state championship?
Of course we do.
We are just a larger version of those same confident eigth-year-olds that played ten years ago.
So bring on the competition and let’s finish strong Lady Toppers of 2013!
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- POLICE ROUNDUP: Houston man arrested for fraud. May 21, 2016
- Pugh earns WBC Business Award May 25, 2016
- NEWS BRIEFS: Feeding program, driver’s license and county election commissioners May 25, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Helping those who help us May 26, 2016
- Toppers’ Smith shuts out Newton May 26, 2016
- NANCY LOOME: Flat appropriations hurt schools May 28, 2016
- BIRTH: John Wyatt Parker May 28, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The best we can produce May 27, 2016
- Vardaman packs gym for graduation May 27, 2016
- Hebron clinches MAIS championship May 26, 2016
- Michael Mcalpin: As a kid I spent many an afternoon in the fire sta...
- Hang Abarca: Hi Sharmaine! my work colleague filled in a blank ...
- Sharmaine Sartor: Useful commentary . I learned a lot from the analy...
- Lahoma Stapleton: Hi smithjasmine. I got ahold of a template CG 20 3...
- smithjasmine: Timely ideas , I loved the details . Does someone ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago