TUPELO – Marie Woods, 85, died Monday, Feb. 25, 2013, at North Mississippi Medical Center after an extended illness. She was born Jan. 26, 1928, in Memphis to William Elihu and Lucy Smith Stewart.
She was a resident of Tupelo since 1963. She married Travis W. “Woody” Woods who preceded her in death May 30, 2001. She enjoyed conversation and spending time with her family, friends and grandchildren. She was an avid golfer and people person. Before her illness she was a longtime member of West Jackson Street Baptist Church. When she became homebound, she loved watching Dr. Forrest Sheffield on the Harrisburg Baptist Church TV Ministry.
Services will be at 2 p.m. Thursday at The Jefferson Street Chapel of W.E. Pegues with Dr. Forrest Sheffield and the Rev. Roger Smith officiating. Burial will be in Lee Memorial Park.
Survivors include two children, Deborah “Debbie” Stiles (Mike) of Tupelo and Mike Woods (Karan) of Dorsey; one sister, Ann Hampton of Trenton, Tenn.; one brother, Ronnie W. Hampton of Trenton, Tenn.; four grandchildren, Shanna Allred, and Robert, Stuart and Boomer Woods; and five great-grandchildren, Hunter Allred, and Memory, Anna, Alex and Shelby Woods.
She was preceded in death by her husband; her parents; two sisters, Maudine Campbell and Clatie Davis; and two brothers, Dan Hampton and Willie Stewart.
Pallbearers will be Robert, Stuart and Boomer Woods, and Hunter and Richard Allred.
Visitation will be from 5 to 8 p.m. Wednesday at the funeral home.
Memorials may be made to the NMMC Inpatient Hospice Unit, 830 S. Gloster St., Tupelo, MS 38801; Sanctuary Hospice House, P.O. Box 2177, Tupelo, MS 38803; or any charity of your choice in her honor.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- HLES Performs Nursery Rhymes and Possibilities May 22, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Helping those who help us May 26, 2016
- Toppers’ Smith shuts out Newton May 26, 2016
- Hebron clinches MAIS championship May 26, 2016
- Vardaman packs gym for graduation May 27, 2016
- CARA CHISOLM: There is a reason for Memorial Day May 29, 2016
- Houston Solar Car honored by Legislature May 29, 2016
- NANCY LOOME: Flat appropriations hurt schools May 28, 2016
- BIRTH: John Wyatt Parker May 28, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The best we can produce May 27, 2016
- Michael Mcalpin: As a kid I spent many an afternoon in the fire sta...
- Hang Abarca: Hi Sharmaine! my work colleague filled in a blank ...
- Sharmaine Sartor: Useful commentary . I learned a lot from the analy...
- Lahoma Stapleton: Hi smithjasmine. I got ahold of a template CG 20 3...
- smithjasmine: Timely ideas , I loved the details . Does someone ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago