Okolona’s Pierce signs with Hinds
OKOLONA – Zach Pierce signed a full scholarship with Hinds Community College Thursday, but also had an offer from Northwest on the table.
Pierce, a 6-foot-3, 330-pound, four-year starter for the Chieftains was a driving force for Okolona’s high powered offense and is expected to contribute quickly to the Eagle’s program in Raymond.
“I felt like they wanted me,” said Pierce. “I also liked the surroundings.”
Pierce said he plans to major in criminal justice and while he prefers the offensive line, Hinds is looking to make him a noseguard on defense.
“He has the size and speed to play defense,” said Okolona football coach Calvin Aldridge. “He played both short and long side guard for us and that shows he has good lateral movement. He has long arms and if he puts his hands on you he takes you down.”
Aldridge also pointed to Pierce’s leg strength and strong fundamentals.
“Zach played junior high ball in Aberdeen and came to us in the 9th grade and immediately became a player,” said Aldridge. “The four years he played with us we averaged 3,000-yards on offense and used a lot of different running backs. Ask anybody that has ever run with the ball and they will tell you if you’ve got a man like Zach to run behind, you’ll get your yards and you’ll score points.”
Hinds Community College Eagles went 4-5 last season and 1-2 in the conference.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- PROM NIGHT 2016! April 24, 2016
- Lady Toppers tripped by Lady Wolverines April 28, 2016
- Rams fall short on Senior Night April 28, 2016
- Drug disposal day is Saturday April 28, 2016
- SCORES: Thursday, April 28 softball and baseball April 29, 2016
- Murder/suicide ruled in Okolona Motel deaths April 30, 2016
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Musicians die but never the music April 30, 2016
- Fast moving front rattles Chickasaw County April 29, 2016
- Chickasaw County no longer under tornado warning April 29, 2016
- JIM HOOD: Ignoring needs is not good government April 29, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago