SHANNON – Cecil Wayne Loyd, 76, died Saturday, Feb. 2, 2013, at North Mississippi Medical Center after an extended illness. He was born in the Pontocola Community on Oct. 3, l936 to Cecil C. Loyd and Addie Pickens Loyd. He moved to Okolona at an early age and attended public schools there and graduated from Shannon High School in l955. He attended Itawamba Junior College where he was a 150 lb center on the football team. His sweetheart of 57 years, Alice Ann Cordell Loyd, took his hand in marriage and they lived in the Shannon area the rest of their lives. He was a self employed farmer and cattleman and was known for his respect of the land and its produce and all God’s creation. He spent a lifetime enjoying the outdoors. He was a longtime member of the Pleasant Grove United Methodist Church. Later in life, he became legendary for his game suppers with his grandchildren and many friends. He loved working his grist mill making flour for family and neighbors. A quiet man, he was strong when it came to loyalty among his family and friends.
A life celebration will be held at 11 a.m. today at the Tupelo Chapel of Holland Funeral Directors with the Rev. Truman Thompson and his nephew, Thomas Loyd, officiating. Private burial will follow in the Pleasant Grove Methodist Church Cemetery west of Shannon.
Survivors include his wife, Alice Ann Loyd, to whom he married Sept. 5, l955; his daughter, Jeanne Loyd Dale (David B. Dale Jr.) of the Wren Community; his mother, Addie Loyd, who resides at Shearer Richardson Nursing Center in Okolona; four grandchildren, MacKenzie McMullin (Andy) of Georgia, David B. Dale III (Sarah Fisher) of Houston, Texas, William Loyd Hampton of Shannon and Alice Jordan Dale of Mississippi College in Clinton, now studying in Spain; and a host of friends.
He was preceded in death by his father, Cecil; a daughter, Pam Loyd Hampton; and a sister, Shirley Jean Loyd.
Pallbearers will be David B. Dale Jr., David B. Dale III, Mark Perry, Roger Herndon, Jackie Moore, Ken Dye and Mike Loyd. Honorary pallbearers will be Ray Powell, Ricky Mask, Mike Filgo, Mike Wittauer, Dallas Leathers and the Men’s Breakfast Group from Shannon.
Visitation is 10 a.m. until service time Monday at the Tupelo Chapel of Holland Funeral Directors.
Memorials may be made to the Shannon United Methodist Church, P. O. Box 1, Shannon, MS. 38868 or to the Pleasant Grove Cemetery Fund, c/0 Renasant Bank, Shannon, MS. 38868. Condolences may be emailed to email@example.com.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Hamby recognized for driving safety April 27, 2016
- Fast moving front rattles Chickasaw County April 29, 2016
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Musicians die but never the music April 30, 2016
- Murder/suicide ruled in Okolona Motel deaths April 30, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The Square May 1, 2016
- Mississippi black bears are on the move May 3, 2016
- DAN MULLEN: ‘No intention of ever leaving’ May 3, 2016
- Vardaman sweeps Biggersville May 3, 2016
- Okolona aldermen address downtown buildings May 3, 2016
- Houlka names consolidation commissioners May 2, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago