BETTY ATKINSON: Learning from our history
Early on the morning of April 19, 1775, our government sent nearly 1,800 of its own soldiers out of Boston Harbor into the Massachusetts countryside as far as Lexington and Concord. The army of our (then) government went into the countryside and through the towns and villages to seize guns and ammunition that its own citizens had hidden around Concord.
The result was the beginning of the Revolution of the American colonists, a unique American Revolution and “The Shot Heard ‘Round the World”. This shot signaled our fight for freedom. We did win our freedom and have been able to hold on to it for 238 years.
America paid a great price for victory and lost many of its citizen-soldiers, civilians and freedom-fighters in the Revolutionary War. Every American is charged to guard that freedom.
The National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution designates February as American History Month. This celebration offers to all Americans a time to take pride in our nation’s achievements, continue to protect our heritage, and remember the importance of freedom, justice, and humanity in our daily lives.
“History is a story written by the hand of God.” –C.S. Lewis
Betty Atkinson is a resident of Houston and periodically submits a column of interest for our readers.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- SCORES: Thursday, April 28 softball and baseball April 29, 2016
- Okolona aldermen address downtown buildings May 3, 2016
- Vardaman sweeps Biggersville May 3, 2016
- DAN MULLEN: ‘No intention of ever leaving’ May 3, 2016
- Mississippi black bears are on the move May 3, 2016
- Rain doesn’t stop Relay May 6, 2016
- Hilltoppers top Corinth May 6, 2016
- Hilltoppers dominate Commodores May 6, 2016
- Lady Toppers down Senatobia May 5, 2016
- Houston to host National Day of Prayer today May 5, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago