Rival schools still pursuing MSU commit Jones
NEMS Daily Journal
Chris Jones is as calm a high school senior as you’ll meet, especially considering the life-changing signature he’ll sign in two weeks.
The 6-foot-7, 255-pound 5-star defensive end from Houston has a lot coming at him. Jones committed to Mississippi State in June but since then has drawn the attention of some of the biggest names in college football.
Recruits can sign on national signing day, Feb. 6.
In the past two weeks, Alabama, Auburn, Mississippi State and Ole Miss have visited Jones, fresh off an official visit to Starkville. He said Tuesday night he is undecided if he’ll visit somewhere this weekend.
“I’m thinking about it, Auburn or Alabama,” Jones said. “I haven’t just decided on it. I’m still not sure.”
Undecided South Panola safety Tony Conner is likely to visit Oxford this weekend and Jones was contemplating it at the advice of his dad, who Jones says wants him to make sure he knows all he can about all of his options.
Jones told the Daily Journal via text on Wednesday that he had decided not to visit Ole Miss this weekend.
“My dad wants to go visit Ole Miss this weekend. My mom, she’s just with the flow, wherever I go. I’m thinking about taking a visit to Ole Miss this weekend,” Jones said. “I’m just checking out everything, making sure I made the right decision.”
Jones says he’s hearing from recruits on both sides of the Mississippi State-Ole Miss rivalry.
Jones has become a star on the national level. A big performance in both the Alabama-Mississippi All-Star Classic and the Under Armour All-America Game has helped him to 5-star status according to 247 and Rivals. He is 247Sports’ No. 2 overall prospect behind Robert Nkemdiche, a potential Ole Miss commit.
Jones has taken it all in stride and said he hasn’t let the attention, positive or negative, frustrate him.
He said this process has shed light on the intensity of the Ole Miss-Mississippi State rivalry.
“I believe it’s a unique year for (Mississippi), no matter who ends up where,” Jones said. “It’s going to be a very special year. I just want everybody to do good and be successful whatever they choose, make it the best fit for them.”
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- EDITORIAL: Collecting old fines, collecting on promises April 28, 2016
- Murder/suicide ruled in Okolona Motel deaths April 30, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The Square May 1, 2016
- CARA CHISM: Let’s work together for community May 1, 2016
- SCORES: Baseball Saturday, April 30 May 1, 2016
- Mississippi black bears are on the move May 3, 2016
- DAN MULLEN: ‘No intention of ever leaving’ May 3, 2016
- Vardaman sweeps Biggersville May 3, 2016
- Okolona aldermen address downtown buildings May 3, 2016
- Houlka names consolidation commissioners May 2, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago