WEST POINT – Charlotte Wimberley Young, 82, passed away Monday, Jan. 21, 2013, at Waverly Care Home in West Point. She was born March 15, 1930, in Houston to Ethel Alford and Willie Kenneth Wimberley.
She was a homemaker, a bookkeeper and a member of First United Methodist Church. Charlotte Wimberley Young married Caradine Westbrook Young March 6, 1949, at First United Methodist Church. She graduated from West Point High School in 1948, and also attended Blue Mountain College. She was an active member of the First United Methodist Church until becoming ill. She had taught Sunday School, served on many committees and was youth leader for 18 years. She was a life member of the West Point Junior Auxilary having served as President. Mrs. Young was very active for many years in the American Cancer Society and later with the Love Lights Program.
Services will be at 2 p.m. Wednesday at First United Methodist Church with the Rev. Jeff Shannon officiating. Speaking for the family will be John McBryde, Kenny Dill, Elizabeth Bailey, and Robin McCormick. Burial will follow in Memorial Garden Cemetery in West Point. The body will lie in state at the church from 2:30 p.m. until service time Wednesday. Calvert Funeral Home of West Point is in charge of arrangements.
Survivors include husband, Caradine Westbrook Young; three daughters, Gale Griggs (Buddy), Lynne Posey, and Robin McCormick, all of West Point; seven grandchildren; three great-grandchildren; and her caregiver, Flora Harris of West Point.
She was preceded in death by her parents; her grandson, Matt Posey; and her sister, Sandra Wimberley.
Pallbearers will be Brian Griggs, Hal Posey Jr., Ryan Posey, Reid Posey, Cary McCormick, Leigh Griggs Camp and Meg McCormick.
Honorary pallbearers will be Dr. T.N. Braddock, Dewel Brashier, J.W. Cantrell, Spec Cook, Frank Dichiara, Kenny Dill, Hal Hill, Lewis Keller, Jimmy Littlefield, Johnny Littlefield, Charlie Newell, Jesse Harmon, Walter Newell, Don Permenter, Richard Rape, James I. Rhea, Mac Steadman, Joe Taggart, Jimmy Terry, Doug Wood, Jimmy Wood, Bobby Wooten, Skip McVey, Members of the WP Fire Department, the Friendly Fellowship Sunday School Class and the Staff of Waverly Care Home.
Memorials may be made to First United Methodist Youth Fund, P.O. Box 293, West Point, MS 39773; to Oak Hill Academy Matt Posey Scholarship Fund, 808 North Eshman Avenue, West Point, MS 39773; to the West Point Junior Auxillary, P.O. Box 45, West Point, MS 39773; or to a a charity of the donor’s choice.
Visitation will be from 5 to 7 p.m. Tuesday at the funeral home.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Houlka streamlines police accounting May 18, 2016
- Toppers commit four errors in loss May 22, 2016
- Rob Marion scholarship established May 22, 2016
- Commission meets, offers concerns on consolidation May 23, 2016
- Houston wins state baseball championship May 23, 2016
- JAY HUGHES: Threats and promises from lawmakers May 24, 2016
- State of the Region meeting set for May 26 May 24, 2016
- Okolona addresses blighted property May 24, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Tourism tax and consolidation May 23, 2016
- CONSOLIDATION: The Commission May 23, 2016
- Michael Mcalpin: As a kid I spent many an afternoon in the fire sta...
- Hang Abarca: Hi Sharmaine! my work colleague filled in a blank ...
- Sharmaine Sartor: Useful commentary . I learned a lot from the analy...
- Lahoma Stapleton: Hi smithjasmine. I got ahold of a template CG 20 3...
- smithjasmine: Timely ideas , I loved the details . Does someone ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago