Thank God for loving us so much!
“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.” (John 3:16)
Rev. Darrick Whitfield
Shady Gove M.B. Church
There are many words that come out of our mouths.
Some of these words are nouns, some of these words are pronouns, some of these words are verbs, some of these words are adjectives and some of the words that people use are not even in the dictionary. Their is one word that goes a mighty long way. There is one word that, when used rightfully, will penetrate deep down into the soul and when this word becomes imbedded in a person, you have a certain attitude that is commendable. You have a certain walk about you that is noticed, you have a certain language or vocabulary that when people talk to you, they will immediately recognize this four-letter word called “love.”
You see, when love is imbedded into your heart, you don’t mistreat folks. When love is imbedded into your heart, one doesn’t talk badly about a person to you and then go down the street and talk badly about you to another person.
In Romans 5:8 it says, “But God commendeth his love toward us”. When you look at the word commendeth in the Greek, you get the transliteration of the word — synistaō and the phonetic pronunciation is — soon-is’-tah’-o.
This looks and sounds like a big word but when you cut it up or break it down, the word simply means to show or to demonstrate. In other words, when you say, “I love you,” this means that you ought to show it or demonstrate it. As people, we have a strange way of showing love towards one another. How can you say you love me on Sunday and don’t even speak to me on Monday? How can you say you “love me and the family” but you spend all afternoon away from home and when you do come home it’s bedtime and the kids are fast asleep?
The greatest verse in the Bible on the love of God is our text for today.
Notice the verse talks about the perimeter of God’s love.
God loved the “world.” No perimeter of love is so large. No love has embraced so many as God’s love. If we love a few neighbors, relatives, friends and most of our family, we think we are filled with love. But compared to the perimeter of God’s love, we have not even begun to love.
We next notice, the proof of God’s love.
“Gave” is the proof of God’s love. It is the proof of any love. And what one gives shows the extent of the love. God gave His only son, Jesus Christ, to be our Savior. It was the costliest and greatest gift ever given to man, which emphasizes the greatness of God’s love.
If you say you love God but are stingy with your smiles, stingy with your words of encouragement to someone, stingy with taking time to check on an elderly person, then you do not love God much. Real love will give generously. God’s love has no ending point. You may have friends that will leave you hanging, you may have families that will deny you and don’t appreciate who you are, but the one thing that I love about God is that He treats me the same all the time and He’s my friend.
A love that goes all the way. Thank God for his love.
Rev. Darrick Whitfield
Shady Gove M.B. Church
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Making a difference every day April 26, 2016
- Chickasaw County no longer under tornado warning April 29, 2016
- Fast moving front rattles Chickasaw County April 29, 2016
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Musicians die but never the music April 30, 2016
- Murder/suicide ruled in Okolona Motel deaths April 30, 2016
- Mississippi black bears are on the move May 3, 2016
- DAN MULLEN: ‘No intention of ever leaving’ May 3, 2016
- Vardaman sweeps Biggersville May 3, 2016
- Okolona aldermen address downtown buildings May 3, 2016
- Houlka names consolidation commissioners May 2, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago