LETTER TO EDITOR: Jonathan Reeves
I strongly encourage and endorse this nomination. Houston and Chickasaw County has such a rich and diverse heritage worthy of preservation and recognition. As Bill Gatlin stated, this nomination does not take away property owners’ rights but provides them with added benefits should they choose to maintain, preserve, or restore the historic appearance of the property. Houston has lost too many of its treasures, the Houston Hotel, Hospital, Tabb Building, High School, and more. A National Register listing will open doors in saving our remaining historical resources.
In addition to the National Register Nomination, Houston should also invest in becoming a Certified Local Government, making it eligible for additional historic preservation and restoration grants. Many of ours neighboring cities have long been members and have reaped the benefits of additional funding. These funds are also available to use on our schools and courthouses.
As a gateway community on the Tanglefoot Trail, we need to have additional attractions to draw tourists and businesses to our town. As a National Register listed community and should we pursue it, a Certified Local Government, Houston would be in a position to revitalize downtown and other historic districts becoming more attractive to tourist, future residents, and new businesses.
Do you have a kind comment, concern or criticism about your community. Please write us a Letter to the Editor and mail it to the Chickasaw Journal at 225 East Madison St., Houston 38851 or click “Contact Us” on this browser and send us an email. Don’t forget to include your phone number so we can confirm your letter.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- EDITORIAL: Tourism Tax Facts May 19, 2016
- Houston wins state baseball championship May 23, 2016
- CONSOLIDATION: The Commission May 23, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Tourism tax and consolidation May 23, 2016
- Okolona addresses blighted property May 24, 2016
- Toppers’ Smith shuts out Newton May 26, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Helping those who help us May 26, 2016
- NEWS BRIEFS: Feeding program, driver’s license and county election commissioners May 25, 2016
- Pugh earns WBC Business Award May 25, 2016
- JAY HUGHES: Threats and promises from lawmakers May 24, 2016
- Michael Mcalpin: As a kid I spent many an afternoon in the fire sta...
- Hang Abarca: Hi Sharmaine! my work colleague filled in a blank ...
- Sharmaine Sartor: Useful commentary . I learned a lot from the analy...
- Lahoma Stapleton: Hi smithjasmine. I got ahold of a template CG 20 3...
- smithjasmine: Timely ideas , I loved the details . Does someone ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago