LETTER TO EDITOR: Jonathan Reeves
I strongly encourage and endorse this nomination. Houston and Chickasaw County has such a rich and diverse heritage worthy of preservation and recognition. As Bill Gatlin stated, this nomination does not take away property owners’ rights but provides them with added benefits should they choose to maintain, preserve, or restore the historic appearance of the property. Houston has lost too many of its treasures, the Houston Hotel, Hospital, Tabb Building, High School, and more. A National Register listing will open doors in saving our remaining historical resources.
In addition to the National Register Nomination, Houston should also invest in becoming a Certified Local Government, making it eligible for additional historic preservation and restoration grants. Many of ours neighboring cities have long been members and have reaped the benefits of additional funding. These funds are also available to use on our schools and courthouses.
As a gateway community on the Tanglefoot Trail, we need to have additional attractions to draw tourists and businesses to our town. As a National Register listed community and should we pursue it, a Certified Local Government, Houston would be in a position to revitalize downtown and other historic districts becoming more attractive to tourist, future residents, and new businesses.
Do you have a kind comment, concern or criticism about your community. Please write us a Letter to the Editor and mail it to the Chickasaw Journal at 225 East Madison St., Houston 38851 or click “Contact Us” on this browser and send us an email. Don’t forget to include your phone number so we can confirm your letter.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Okolona aldermen address downtown buildings April 25, 2016
- Magazine available to community April 29, 2016
- NFL DRAFT: Tunsil falls to Miami in coach pay scandal, Jones misses 1st Round April 29, 2016
- Tunsil says he took money from an Ole Miss coach April 29, 2016
- JIM HOOD: Ignoring needs is not good government April 29, 2016
- Houlka names consolidation commissioners May 2, 2016
- Southeast moves closer to fire district May 2, 2016
- SCORES: Baseball Saturday, April 30 May 1, 2016
- CARA CHISM: Let’s work together for community May 1, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The Square May 1, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago