HOULKA – Coach James “Jimbo” Byars, 47, died Tuesday, January 15, 2013, at Sanctuary Hospice House after a brief illness. He was born August 13, 1965, in Tupelo to Gene and Sue Byars.
He was a 1983 graduate of Aberdeen High School. He attended Itawamba Junior College and was a 1993 graduate of Mississippi State University. He was an All-State baseball player at Aberdeen High School and IJC. He began his teaching and coaching career as a student teacher at Tupelo High School where he helped coach the baseball team to a state championship in 1993. He was a history teacher and coached baseball, softball, football and track and kept the time clock for basketball games at Houlka High School. He was selected Teacher of the Year in 2011 and Division 3-1A Coach of The Year in 2001-2002 and 2003-2004. He was the coach of the NEMCABB All-Star Game in 1995 and 2004. His 2004 Houlka Wildcat Baseball Team was Class 1A North Half Champions.
He was a member of First Baptist Church in Houlka and M & M Hunting Club. He loved hunting, fishing, playing golf and other sports with his brothers-in-law and was an avid history enthusiast.
Services will be 2 p.m. Friday at Houlka High School Gymnasium with Bro. David Blackwell and Bro. Jeff Harmon officiating. Burial will be in Lee Memorial Park. Lee Memorial Funeral Home is in charge of the arrangements.
Survivors include his wife, Sonja Benefield Byars of Houlka; two sons, Joby Byars and Sawyer Byars, of the home; his father and mother, Gene and Sue Byars of Houston; one sister, Lee Norris (Alan) of Tupelo; his mother-in-law, Janie Benefield; his in-laws, Danny Benefield, Jimmie Hicks, Debra Bradley (Doyle), Judy Royce (Richard), Pauline Smith (Barry) and Lynn Mize (Thomas); his nieces and nephews, Victoria Norris, Kim Mishou (Derek), Cathy Bradley, April Hicks, Will Smith, Casey Smith and Maegan Mize; a great-niece, Abby Grace Gonzales; his aunts and uncles, Paul Byars (Erma), Dot Wright, Sarah Akins (Johnny), Betty Kelly and Diane Shaw (Edd); and several cousins.
He was preceded in death by his grandparents, Reuben and Polly Byars and Evans and Myrlee Langford; his nephew, Shane Hicks; his father-in-law, W.J. Benefield and his brother-in-law, Terry Hicks.
Pallbearers will be Sid Burt, Seth Burt, Jock Moore, Dustin Eaton, Chris Huggins and Al -Jammi Davis. Honorary Pallbearers will be Jimmy Guy McDonald, Rob Allen, Vicki Homan, Brian Morgan, Todd Irvin and David Poss.
In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made to the Sanctuary Hospice House.
Visitation will be from 4 to 8 p.m. Thursday and following the service at First Baptist Church of Houlka.
A complete obituary will be published in the Wednesday, Jan. 23, Chickasaw Journal.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Hamby recognized for driving safety April 27, 2016
- Fast moving front rattles Chickasaw County April 29, 2016
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Musicians die but never the music April 30, 2016
- Murder/suicide ruled in Okolona Motel deaths April 30, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The Square May 1, 2016
- Mississippi black bears are on the move May 3, 2016
- DAN MULLEN: ‘No intention of ever leaving’ May 3, 2016
- Vardaman sweeps Biggersville May 3, 2016
- Okolona aldermen address downtown buildings May 3, 2016
- Houlka names consolidation commissioners May 2, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago