Forecast from NWS for Chickasaw County
Wednesday: A 30 percent chance of rain. Cloudy, with a high near 44. North wind 5 to 10 mph. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
Wednesday Night: A chance of rain before midnight, then a chance of rain and snow. Increasing clouds, with a low around 32. Calm wind becoming north around 5 mph after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 40%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
WINTER STORM: Near miss or near mess?
NEMS Daily Journal
TUPELO — The National Weather Service placed Alcorn, Benton, Lafayette, Marshall, Prentiss, Tippah, Tishomingo and Union counties under an ice storm warning through 6 a.m. today.
A land mass under such warnings stretched through Louisiana, Arkansas, Mississippi and Tennessee, with other counties near the warning area expected to receive lesser amounts of rain or freezing rain.
Mississippi Highway Patrol Trooper Ray Hall said the weather presented surprisingly few problems Tuesday.
“We had a few slick spots up on Highway 72, but we haven’t had any major travel troubles,” he said. “I think we only worked three wrecks (Tuesday), and one of those was a deer crash.”
Hall feared, however, that refreezing water on roadways might create hazardous driving conditions overnight.
In Marshall County, Sheriff Kenny Dickerson also reported that Tuesday’s conditions had not created severe problems.
“The road crews have gotten out and put out salt and rock. Traffic is moving along without any major problems,” he said around mid-afternoon. “We do have the timber and wires beginning to sag.”
Small power outages were reported in places as far spread as Walnut and Oxford.
A few Northeast Mississippi school districts near the Tennessee line stayed closed all day Tuesday, but schools in most of the region opened as usual.
The possibility of icy roads, however, compelled many districts to dismiss students early for a second consecutive day.
Whether more ice accumulated overnight or not, it will soon be a memory.
The National Weather Service is predicting little precipitation this morning and highs this afternoon in the mid-40s. Clearing skies and highs in the 40s and 50s are expected the next several days.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Commission meets, offers concerns on consolidation May 23, 2016
- Hebron clinches MAIS championship May 26, 2016
- Vardaman packs gym for graduation May 27, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The best we can produce May 27, 2016
- BIRTH: John Wyatt Parker May 28, 2016
- Moore signs with Miss. Delta CC May 30, 2016
- Houlka presents summer programs May 30, 2016
- CARA CHISOLM: There is a reason for Memorial Day May 29, 2016
- Houston Solar Car honored by Legislature May 29, 2016
- NANCY LOOME: Flat appropriations hurt schools May 28, 2016
- Michael Mcalpin: As a kid I spent many an afternoon in the fire sta...
- Hang Abarca: Hi Sharmaine! my work colleague filled in a blank ...
- Sharmaine Sartor: Useful commentary . I learned a lot from the analy...
- Lahoma Stapleton: Hi smithjasmine. I got ahold of a template CG 20 3...
- smithjasmine: Timely ideas , I loved the details . Does someone ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago