Gunfight kills man in Calhoun County
CALHOUN COUNTY – One man is dead and another is in a Northeast Mississippi hospital following a gunfight in rural Calhoun County Thursday night with one of the shooters pardoned by former Gov. Haley Barbour last year.
Calhoun County Sheriff Greg Pollan said officers were called to scene about 3-1/2 miles south of Slate Springs about 8:30 p.m. after an argument between Wayne Harris, of Slate Springs, and Chris McGonagill, of Calhoun City, resulted in about a dozen shots being fired.
Pollan said Harris had received a full pardon from Barbour on charges of the sale of marijuana.
“Harris was hit once in the leg and McGonagill was hit six times,” said Pollan.“I can’t give you a lot of information about this incident because we are still investigating exactly what happened.”
Pollan said McGonagill was taken to Calhoun County Health Center and a helicopter was dispatched to airlift him to The Med in Memphis. Pollan said the helicopter diverted to a hospital in Oxford when McGonagill’s condition worsened. Pollan said McGonagill was pronounced dead about midnight in Oxford.
Pollan said Harris was taken to North Mississippi Medical Center Thursday night. He said Harris was still in the hospital at noon Friday, but his injuries did not appear to be life threatening.
Pollan said Harris apparently used a .22-cal. rifle in the shooting and McGonagill was armed with a 9 mm pistol. Pollan said the shooting occurred at a carpentry shop owned by McGonagill on Highway 9 south of Slate Springs.
Pollan said no charges had been filed as of noon Friday.
“We understand there were three other people at the scene at one time,” said Pollan. “We are not looking for anyone else and at this point we don’t think anyone else was involved.”
Pollan said he did not know what sparked the shooting.
“We are working on a motive,” said Pollan.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Making a difference every day April 26, 2016
- Chickasaw County no longer under tornado warning April 29, 2016
- Fast moving front rattles Chickasaw County April 29, 2016
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Musicians die but never the music April 30, 2016
- Murder/suicide ruled in Okolona Motel deaths April 30, 2016
- Mississippi black bears are on the move May 3, 2016
- DAN MULLEN: ‘No intention of ever leaving’ May 3, 2016
- Vardaman sweeps Biggersville May 3, 2016
- Okolona aldermen address downtown buildings May 3, 2016
- Houlka names consolidation commissioners May 2, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago