LETTER TO EDITOR: Ray Garrett
In the wake of the recent murder of twenty school children, the issue of gun control is again a primary topic of public debate. The foremost responsibility of any government is the protection of its citizens. However, fulfilling this responsibility does not in any way justify the disarming of law-abiding citizens so as to strip them of their ability to protect their homes and families.
What a government concerned with protecting the lives of those it governs should do is to actually enforce those laws already in place to prevent persons who should not be allowed to possess firearms from doing so. Where proper our government should strengthen these laws provided that such does not merely serve to deprive law-abiding citizens of their right to protect themselves and their families.
For example, Mississippi already has a law, which prohibits persons who have been convicted of a felony from possessing a firearm, but do any of your readers recall a person actually serving a significant sentence for violating this law? Therefore, all law-abiding citizens should call upon our elected officials to immediately begin active enforcement of this law and to strengthen it in order to deter and prevent criminals from possessing firearms, which they could use to harm law-abiding citizens. Requiring any felon convicted of being in possession of a firearm to serve a minimum of five years without the possibility of probation or early release would accomplish much. Persons convicted of a felony would be deterred from possessing firearms, as a conviction for this crime would result in a minimum mandatory prison sentence. While persons who have no regard for the law would be removed from society and no longer be a threat to law-abiding citizens.
The existing law should be modified to make the arrest and prosecution of anyone violating this law mandatory removing any discretion in arresting the person found to be in violation of this law and to prevent the reduction of this charge to a lesser crime. Acting upon this proposal would make us safer without infringing upon the rights of a single law abiding citizen to protect themselves.
This is just the view of one Christian American citizen and as such will not result in any change unless my fellow citizens join me in calling upon our state legislature to take the action I have proposed during the upcoming legislative session. I also urge my fellow citizens to call upon our Senators and Representatives in Congress to propose similar legislation for dealing with this problem on a national level without infringing upon the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding American citizens.
Attorney Ray Garrett,
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Okolona aldermen address downtown buildings April 25, 2016
- SCORES: Thursday, April 28 softball and baseball April 29, 2016
- Magazine available to community April 29, 2016
- NFL DRAFT: Tunsil falls to Miami in coach pay scandal, Jones misses 1st Round April 29, 2016
- Tunsil says he took money from an Ole Miss coach April 29, 2016
- SCORES: Baseball Saturday, April 30 May 1, 2016
- CARA CHISM: Let’s work together for community May 1, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The Square May 1, 2016
- Murder/suicide ruled in Okolona Motel deaths April 30, 2016
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Musicians die but never the music April 30, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago