EDITORIAL: Okolona School Trustees
The photo showed Okolona now has their school back under local control
The picture showed a group of people who have sworn to guide and direct the Okolona School District to their best of their ability.
The picture also showed Okolona Mayor Louise Cole and Circuit Court Judge John Andrew Gregory standing alongside Trustees as the oath was administered.
The photo showed a community that has come through a trying time in their history and hopefully will be the better for it.
We applaud the City of Okolona for picking a fine slate of new Trustees. Sara Jenkins, Dr. Jerome D. Smith, Bill Stewart, William Bailey and Nancy Sullivan are people who will bring much to the table as they direct our schools.
We also urge the mayor and city fathers to continue to do all in their power to help Okolona schools as they move away from under conservatorship.
Much work remains to be done. Trustees will now look to find a new superintendent. They must set about the dirty job of enforcing school attendance. They are also faced with facility concerns and the need to fix old buildings fast.
This newspaper believes Okolona has the talent and now has the determination to better their schools and we believe that will better everyone in Chickasaw County.
It has to be pointed out that should Okolona fail, the state stands ready to once again take over those schools. They have already said Okolona schools would probably be consolidated with other schools in Chickasaw County.
Okolona’s new School Board Trustees need to move forward and this community and this county need to support their efforts.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Okolona aldermen address downtown buildings April 25, 2016
- SCORES: Thursday, April 28 softball and baseball April 29, 2016
- Magazine available to community April 29, 2016
- NFL DRAFT: Tunsil falls to Miami in coach pay scandal, Jones misses 1st Round April 29, 2016
- Tunsil says he took money from an Ole Miss coach April 29, 2016
- SCORES: Baseball Saturday, April 30 May 1, 2016
- CARA CHISM: Let’s work together for community May 1, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The Square May 1, 2016
- Murder/suicide ruled in Okolona Motel deaths April 30, 2016
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Musicians die but never the music April 30, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago