Tennis Travelers at State
The USTA tennis team comprised of players from Houston and New Albany made their first trip to the State tournament in Jackson in December with a fifth-place showing.
Coach Mike Blissard said the team played well and the finish could be misleading.
“We only lost to one team, but the way the tournament is scored and the way the bracket fell we had to settle for fifth,” Blissard said. “All the players played well at the tournament.”
The team was missing member, Lane Brandon, who suffered an injury and could not compete. The other five members, Walt Harrington and Ezra Blissard of Houston and Mark Robbins, Christopher Shands and Trace Thompson of New Albany represented the Tanglefoot Travelers, named after the recreational trail that runs through both Union and Chickasaw counties.
A defeat by the Oxford team put the Travelers behind and Oxford went on to win the overall tournament.
“Although we won all the other matches we played, we never caught back up,” Blissard said.
This marked the first time for Harrington and Ezra Blissard to compete in a fall USTA State tournament and both said it was a worthwhile trip.
“It was a fun, new experience for me and the whole team just being a part of the first ever fall USTA State Championship,” Harrington said.
“It was great,” added Ezra Blissard. “Of course, my team helped me get there, but I’m glad I had the opportunity to play for a State title.”
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- Okolona aldermen address downtown buildings April 25, 2016
- Magazine available to community April 29, 2016
- NFL DRAFT: Tunsil falls to Miami in coach pay scandal, Jones misses 1st Round April 29, 2016
- Tunsil says he took money from an Ole Miss coach April 29, 2016
- JIM HOOD: Ignoring needs is not good government April 29, 2016
- Houlka names consolidation commissioners May 2, 2016
- Southeast moves closer to fire district May 2, 2016
- SCORES: Baseball Saturday, April 30 May 1, 2016
- CARA CHISM: Let’s work together for community May 1, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The Square May 1, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago