City, School Board elections set for 2013
Elections will be held in all four municipalities to include all elected government positions.
In Houston, the office of mayor, four district aldermen and one at-large and city marshal will be up for election. Okolona will see the election of mayor and six district aldermen.
In Houlka and Woodland, the office of mayor will be up for election as well as five seats for aldermen at-large.
Qualifying deadline for elected municipal offices is March 8 at 5 p.m. Applications may be picked up at and returned to the City Hall of the municipality in question. Candidates who intend to run under a political party will be required to pay a $10 application fee. Those who run as independents do not pay a fee, but are required to submit a petition with 50 signatures of qualified electors.
To qualify for municipal office, a candidate must be a registered voter of the municipality. Candidates may not have been convicted of a federal crime or certain Mississippi crimes defined as punishable by incarceration in a state penitentiary unless having received a full pardon. They also may not be convicted of a crime in another state that is considered a felony under Mississippi law.
School board elections in Houlka, Okolona
The Houston School Board of Trustees will not have an election this year, but an appointment will be forthcoming from the City of Houston. The term held by Daniel Heeringa is up for appointment this term. Any qualified voter residing within the city limits of Houston may make their interest known to the board through City Hall, preferably by letter.
In Okolona, the newly seated Board of Trustees will complete the existing terms of the former board. The term currently being fulfilled by Nancy Sullivan will be up for election this term.
Chickasaw County School District in Houlka will see the election of two trustees as the terms currently held by Pam Butler and Michelle Collums both expire.
Candidates for Board of Trustee must qualify by Jan. 21 at 5 p.m. at their respective school district office.
Elections of School Board of Trustee will be held March 2 in the school district.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- HLES Performs Nursery Rhymes and Possibilities May 22, 2016
- NEWS BRIEFS: Feeding program, driver’s license and county election commissioners May 25, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Helping those who help us May 26, 2016
- Toppers’ Smith shuts out Newton May 26, 2016
- Hebron clinches MAIS championship May 26, 2016
- Houston Solar Car honored by Legislature May 29, 2016
- NANCY LOOME: Flat appropriations hurt schools May 28, 2016
- BIRTH: John Wyatt Parker May 28, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The best we can produce May 27, 2016
- Vardaman packs gym for graduation May 27, 2016
- Michael Mcalpin: As a kid I spent many an afternoon in the fire sta...
- Hang Abarca: Hi Sharmaine! my work colleague filled in a blank ...
- Sharmaine Sartor: Useful commentary . I learned a lot from the analy...
- Lahoma Stapleton: Hi smithjasmine. I got ahold of a template CG 20 3...
- smithjasmine: Timely ideas , I loved the details . Does someone ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago