BOONEVILLE – Booneville didn’t slow down and Houston couldn’t slow the Blue Devils. Booneville ran right past the visiting Hilltoppers on Friday night, with an 80-48 win in the Kiwanis Classic. The Blue Devils (9-3) led by 30 at the half and stretched it to a 40-point lead on John Wesley Copeland’s 3-pointer in the […]
Archive | December, 2012
John Crowley MANTEE – John Allen Crowley, 75, died Friday, Dec. 28, 2012, at his home. He was born May 6, 1937, in Lee County to Dewey O. Crowley and Myrtle Zethel Henley Crowley. He retired after 53 years in the furniture industry. He was member and deacon of the Pine Bluff Baptist Church […]
JACKSON – A key legislative advocate in efforts to strengthen Mississippi’s laws to curb the number of undocumented immigrants in the state says he is not sure how the issue will be dealt with during the upcoming 2013 session. “I don’t have anything definitive in the way of plans for immigration legislation,” House Judiciary B […]
Mississippi’s third white-tailed deer gun hunting season opened Dec. 24 and will run through January 17. Hunting with dogs is allowed during this season. Legal deer include either-sex on private lands and legal bucks only on open public lands. Open public lands may include National Forests and Corps of Engineers lands that have statewide seasons […]
HOULKA/OKOLONA – Today’s children and youth face a lot of choices, but the fifth grade students at Houlka and Okolona schools will be better prepared to handle them now. The Chickasaw County Sheriff’s Department partners with the schools to present the Drug Awareness Education Program and receives support from a bill submitted to the […]
Dore Program will be implemented as part of partnership with Mississippi State educators. HOUSTON – A cutting edge study implementing a new learning initiative and research study will begin in the Houston Upper Elementary School after the first of the year. Dore – an individualized, cerebellar development program – will be brought to Houston […]
Let’s try charter schools Dear Editor, Thanks to liberals like you and Dr. Coker, we readers get to hear one side of the Charter School issue. You are right in that we should do our homework. That statement includes you and Dr. Coker. Let’s see, we were at the bottom of the education in […]
HOUSTON – The City of Houston is moving to purchase a warehouse with the hope to keep jobs in town and to market the building to other industry. The Houston Board of Aldermen has met several times over the past week to hammer out a deal to purchase the Jackson Manufacturing building for approximately […]
HOUSTON – Dorothy Ruth Harrell, 62, died Sunday, Dec. 23, 2012, at the Golden Living Center in Eupora. Services will be at 1 p.m. Saturday at New Hope M.B. Church of Woodland. Burial will be in the New Hope Cemetery. Montgomery Mortuary of Houston is in charge of the arrangements. Visitation will be from 3 […]
EUPORA – Rickey Robertson, 48, passed away on Sunday, Dec. 23, 2012, at his home in Eupora. Services will be at 2 p.m. Saturday at Wise Funeral Home Chapel in Eupora. Burial will follow in Bradford Chapel Cemetery in the Cadaretta community. Wise Funeral Home is in charge of the arrangements. Visitation will be from […]
Carris Crocker CALHOUN CITY – Carris Logan Crocker, 96, died Wednesday, Dec. 26, 2012, at Calhoun Health Services. She was born Jan. 6, 1916, in Calhoun County. She was a retired sewing machine operator for Glenn Slacks and a member of Mt. Moriah Baptist Church. Services will be at 10 a.m. Friday at Pryor Funeral […]
PITTSBORO – Dolores Jean Earhart, 83, died Wednesday, Dec. 26, 2012, at Baptist Memorial Hospital in Oxford. She was born Dec. 29, 1928, in Athens, Ga. She was a retired sales clerk for K-Mart and a member of Pittsboro Baptist Church. Services will be at 2 p.m. Saturday at Parker Memorial Funeral Home Chapel in […]
MILWAUKEE – Mary Dale Doss died Wednesday, Dec. 26, 2012, in Milwaukee, Wis. Arrangements are incomplete and will be announced later by Williams Memorial of Okolona. A complete obituary will be posted online and also published in the next edition of the Chickasaw Journal as soon as it is made available.
BRUCE – Mary Ida Zinn, 85, died Friday, Dec. 21, 2012, at the North Mississippi Medical Center in Tupelo. She was a member of Jackson Chapel M.B. Church. Services will be at 1 p.m. Saturday at Jackson Chapel M.B. Church in Bruce. Pastor Thomas Tillman will officiate. Burial will be at Cane Creek Cemetery in […]
- DANIEL GARDNER: God given rights February 28, 2015
- EDITORIAL: Who deserves your vote? March 5, 2015
- Fifty-three throw hat in the ring March 5, 2015
- FLOYD INGRAM: The snowstorm of 2015 March 5, 2015
- On to Jackson March 5, 2015
- Three dead in Pontotoc County wreck March 6, 2015
- Blue and Gray to portray local history March 6, 2015
- Okolona state tournament game moved to Monday March 6, 2015
- Houston names projects March 6, 2015
- Snow! And lots of it March 5, 2015
- Royal Chocolate: Great to see progress in my hometown!...
- Cherry Walker: I had heard this woman's name before so I did som...
- Kathryn: I'd say that Mr. Scott nailed it. Well said, sir...
- Erma Byars: Congratulations Marty for all your achievements. ...
- Candace: Good decision!...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 2 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 2 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 2 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 2 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 2 years ago