Sales steady in Houston
“For whatever reason we had a banner year in 2011 and we look to be on course with similar numbers this year,” said Houston City Clerk, Bobby Sanderson. “When you are up against big numbers it is good to hold your own.”
Houston collected $83,839.71 in sales tax rebates from the state this month which was down slightly from $85,953 last year. November and December tend to be bigger months for sale tax revenue with the advent of the Christmas shopping season.
“Our sales are up and we have done well this month and this year,” said Kirkham Dendy, of Grocer’s Pride. “We have seen our sales tax check that we send to the state go up every year for the past 25 years. I am blessed with good customers and good community that does business with us.”
Dendy said people may not think of a grocery store as a retail outlet for holiday gifts.
“We have a lot of people who come by at Christmas and get gift cards to give employees or family and friends – you can always use a gift card from us,” said Dendy. “And of course we sell a lot of Christmas hams at this time of year as gifts.”
Dendy also pointed out people buy food as gifts at Easter, Fourth of July, birthdays and of course Thanksgiving.
Houston saw sales tax rebate revenue top $1 million last month.
Sale tax rebates are a good local indicator on what is happening economically in a town’s market since they are directly linked to retail sales in a community. Sales tax rebate dollars are also a key source of revenue used to fund city services.
The city’s fiscal year runs from Oct. 1 to Sept. 30. Sales tax rebates collected in any given month are reported the following month and checks sent to municipalities the next month.
Houston collected $967,971.06 in sales tax diversions in fiscal year 2010-11 compared to the most recent figure of $1,019,594.92 for fiscal year 2011-12. Houston is averaging $82,835.29 on a monthly basis so far this year.
Sales tax rebate dollars account for more than half of the city’s revenue budget with ad valorem taxes raising about $800,000.
“We rely on sales taxes to fund city services a lot,” said Sanderson. “People fuss about how high their taxes are but they would be a lot higher if folks didn’t shop in local stores.”
City school taxes are also figured into the tax bill of those living in the city limits.
All sales taxes figures are reported and rebates are paid by the Mississippi Department of Revenue.
Municipal sales tax rebates this month compared to similar month last year are:
City 2012 2011
Aberdeen $67,183 $66,523
Bruce $41,011 $38,431
Calhoun City $23,564 $24,938
Derma $5,022 $4,946
Eupora $33,927 $30,685
Houlka $7,643 $8,739
Okolona $23,258 $23,154
Vardaman $10,403 $9,438
Woodland $4,891 $4,684
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- EDITORIAL: Tourism Tax Facts May 19, 2016
- Commission meets, offers concerns on consolidation May 23, 2016
- Houston wins state baseball championship May 23, 2016
- CONSOLIDATION: The Commission May 23, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Tourism tax and consolidation May 23, 2016
- NEWS BRIEFS: Feeding program, driver’s license and county election commissioners May 25, 2016
- Pugh earns WBC Business Award May 25, 2016
- JAY HUGHES: Threats and promises from lawmakers May 24, 2016
- State of the Region meeting set for May 26 May 24, 2016
- Okolona addresses blighted property May 24, 2016
- Michael Mcalpin: As a kid I spent many an afternoon in the fire sta...
- Hang Abarca: Hi Sharmaine! my work colleague filled in a blank ...
- Sharmaine Sartor: Useful commentary . I learned a lot from the analy...
- Lahoma Stapleton: Hi smithjasmine. I got ahold of a template CG 20 3...
- smithjasmine: Timely ideas , I loved the details . Does someone ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago