SHANNON – Katherine Smith Foster, 87, died on Sunday, Dec. 23, 2012, at North Mississippi Medical Center. She was born on June 25, 1925, in Chickasaw County to Edd and Fisher Smith.
She attended school at Mary Holmes Junior College in West Point, where she graduated from high school. She married George Foster on Oct. 1,1946, and they were together until his death in 1984. She found Christ at an early age and was baptized at High Chapel CME Church in Shannon. Later she joined Johnson Chapel, where she was a devoted member until her death. Her grandchildren were the light of her life.
She is survived by her children, Gloria Jean Cheeks of Chicago, Ill., Vernola (Tom Henry) Lyles and Theodis (Jerlena) Foster of Shannon, Raeliasha Anderson of Dallas, Texas; three brothers, Ozzie (Juanita) Smith of Cleveland, Ohio, George Larry (Lillian) Spragin of Shannon and Jesse Smith of Kalamazoo, Mich.; three sisters-in-law, Mildred Smith of Grand Rapids, Betty Spragin of Cleveland, Ohio, and Annie Foster of Shannon; two brothers-in-law, Roberts (Luverta) Foster and Harry Foster of Shannon; a cousin, Kay Smith of Houston, Texas; and her grandchildren, Vanessa Sanders, Daven and Daniel Sanders, and DaKoda Ky’Mani Foster.
Services will be at 11 a.m. Friday, Dec. 28, at Johnson Chapel M.B. Church with the Rev. Marvin McWhorter officiating. Burial will be in the church cemetery. N.L. Jones Funeral Directors is in charge of the arrangements.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- EDITORIAL: Tourism Tax Facts May 19, 2016
- CONSOLIDATION: The Commission May 23, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Tourism tax and consolidation May 23, 2016
- Okolona addresses blighted property May 24, 2016
- State of the Region meeting set for May 26 May 24, 2016
- Hebron clinches MAIS championship May 26, 2016
- Toppers’ Smith shuts out Newton May 26, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Helping those who help us May 26, 2016
- NEWS BRIEFS: Feeding program, driver’s license and county election commissioners May 25, 2016
- Pugh earns WBC Business Award May 25, 2016
- Michael Mcalpin: As a kid I spent many an afternoon in the fire sta...
- Hang Abarca: Hi Sharmaine! my work colleague filled in a blank ...
- Sharmaine Sartor: Useful commentary . I learned a lot from the analy...
- Lahoma Stapleton: Hi smithjasmine. I got ahold of a template CG 20 3...
- smithjasmine: Timely ideas , I loved the details . Does someone ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago