School board puts roofers on notice
Trustees have been meeting in executive session for several months with NewPath Strategy Consulting, to discuss the leaking roof at the building formerly known as the Vo-Tech Center. The roof was replaced in 2010 and has continued to leak.
“Our specialty is not roofing and that is why we have met with NewPath,” said Houston Superintendent Dr. Steve Coker. “The roof leaked and we hired people to repair it and it continues to leak.”
Board attorney James Hood said he would send a letter to the architect, contractor and bonding company explaining the school’s concern and asking them to meet with the district.
“We hope the parties involved can come in, sit down and discuss why the roof continues to leak,” said Hood. “The school district does not want to go to litigation.”
Both Coker and Hood said he were not at liberty to discuss details because of a potential lawsuit. Both said they didn’t understand why the district hired people to fix a leaking roof and the roof continues to leak.
“We would be poor stewards of taxpayer dollars if we did not address this situation,” said Coker. “There is a danger of students slipping on wet floors and teachers have to rearrange their classrooms on days that it rains and put out buckets to catch drips. We just want dry classrooms.”
The district contracted with Copper Top Roofing in 2010 to fix the roof at a cost of $240,000. The school board has met repeatedly with architect Roger Pryor and contractor Copper Top Roofing since the roof was installed saying they are not satisfied with the work.
Pryor and Copper Top say the problem is with condensation pans on old air conditioning units and not the roof that was installed.
At a March 2011 meeting Pryor said the type of roof installed does not have a history of failure and he believes it was installed correctly.
Trustees Bart Munlin and Rayburn Parks climbed on and inspected the vo-tech roof in March 2011 to try and find a solution to chronic leaks that have plagued the building.
Munlin, an engineer, and Parks, a well-services businessman, also reviewed a copy of the actual bid specifications that were used to repair the roof in an attempt to determine the scope of the work and if that work had been done.
Munlin said at that time condensation pan on the bottom of air conditioners on the roof have deteriorated and it appeared the contractor and architect had done what they said they would do.
Parks was a little more hesitant and said those condensation plates should have been replaced and should have been part of the scope of work when the architect drew up specifications.
The district hired NewPath Strategy Consultants this summer to develop a plan to assess and estimate costs for repairing leaks at the Houston Vocational Building and replacing air conditioners.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- SCORES: Thursday, April 28 softball and baseball April 29, 2016
- Okolona aldermen address downtown buildings May 3, 2016
- Vardaman sweeps Biggersville May 3, 2016
- DAN MULLEN: ‘No intention of ever leaving’ May 3, 2016
- Mississippi black bears are on the move May 3, 2016
- Rain doesn’t stop Relay May 6, 2016
- Hilltoppers top Corinth May 6, 2016
- Hilltoppers dominate Commodores May 6, 2016
- Lady Toppers down Senatobia May 5, 2016
- Houston to host National Day of Prayer today May 5, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago