Betty Jo Sanderson
WEST POINT – Betty Jo “B.J.” Sanderson, 73, passed away on Thursday, Dec. 20, 2012, at Sanctuary Hospice House in Tupelo. She was born Nov. 30, 1939, in Houston to Maynette Neal and James Horace Smith. She worked for the City of West Point Housing Authority and later retired from Diversified Property Management, where she managed apartments. She was a member of Lone Oak Baptist Church. She married Doyan Joe Sanderson on Aug. 30, 1968, in Houston and he preceded her on Aug. 6, 1985.
Services will be at 2 p.m. Friday at Calvert Funeral Home Chapel in West Point with Dr. James Towery officiating. Burial will follow in Memorial Garden Cemetery in West Point. Calvert Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.
Survivors include her stepson, James Renn Sanderson (Marsha) of Atoka, Tenn.; one stepgranddaughter, Chancy Walker (Kevin) of Atoka, Tenn.; two stepgreat-grandchildren, Tucker and Kristen Walker, both of Atoka, Tenn.; her sister, Gail S. Rhea (Glen) of West Point; her brothers, Jerry D. Smith of Memphis, Larry N. Smith (Ruth) and Jimmy D. Smith (Jamie), both of Houston; a number of nieces and nephews, great-nieces and great-nephews.
In addition to her parents and husband, she was predeced in death by her nephew, Ricky Smith.
Pallbearers will be Keith Smith, Jeffery Chaney, Larry Smith Jr., and Joey Wright.
Honorary pallbearers will be Mr. and Mrs. James I. Rhea, Linda Fulgham, and her friends at the Henry Clay Retirement Community.
Memorials may be made to Sanctuary Hospice House, P. O. Box 2177, Tupelo, MS 38803 or to the Henry Clay Retirement Community, 133 Commerce St., West Point, MS 39773.
Visitation will be from 1 to 2 p.m. Friday at Calvert Funeral Home.
Friends may leave an online condolence at www.calvertfuneralhome.com.
A complete obituary will be published in the Wednesday, Dec. 26, Chickasaw Journal.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Houlka streamlines police accounting May 18, 2016
- Rob Marion scholarship established May 22, 2016
- Commission meets, offers concerns on consolidation May 23, 2016
- Houston wins state baseball championship May 23, 2016
- CONSOLIDATION: The Commission May 23, 2016
- NEWS BRIEFS: Feeding program, driver’s license and county election commissioners May 25, 2016
- Pugh earns WBC Business Award May 25, 2016
- JAY HUGHES: Threats and promises from lawmakers May 24, 2016
- State of the Region meeting set for May 26 May 24, 2016
- Okolona addresses blighted property May 24, 2016
- Michael Mcalpin: As a kid I spent many an afternoon in the fire sta...
- Hang Abarca: Hi Sharmaine! my work colleague filled in a blank ...
- Sharmaine Sartor: Useful commentary . I learned a lot from the analy...
- Lahoma Stapleton: Hi smithjasmine. I got ahold of a template CG 20 3...
- smithjasmine: Timely ideas , I loved the details . Does someone ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago