LISA VOYLES: Nekkid with your hair on fire
When I was in school at Memphis State – yes, I’m that old – my friend Kim Glass had several cutesy Southern phrases and this was one of her favorites.
“I don’t have anything decent to wear to that (whatever event). I’ll just have to go naked with my hair on fire.”
I declare, that girl was a lot of fun!
I brought the phrase home when I moved back to Chickasaw County after college graduation and have shared it with friends and acquaintances ever since. It always seems to bring a smile.
Anyway, it popped into my head last weekend while I was at the Okolona Hardwood basketball tournament. I was sitting there, minding my own business, not bothering a soul like I do, when Mrs. Triplett accosted me from the bleachers.
“Girl, I have never seen you when you had your clothes on,” she said.
I thought I had dressed before I left the house, but I glanced down instinctively to check.
You know, just to make sure.
She was picking at me because I had on Capri jeans and flip-flops – on December first.
In my defense, it was 70 degrees outside and about the same temperature in the gym. I was quite comfortable.
I assured Mrs. Triplett that when the temperature goes down, I really do wear pants all the way to the floor and shoes with closed toes, but I’m not sure she believed me.
I generally dress for the occasion or the event being covered with maximum comfort as my goal. Life’s just too short to wear shoes that pinch your toes.
I remember one early spring baseball game when I jumped the gun. It had been beautiful and sunny all week, even thought the calendar still said February. I hit the field in capris and flops not realizing it had turned off cloudy and my sunshine had run away.
Several folks commented on my attire. My defense was simple.
“Once I shave my legs and paint my toes, it’s officially spring.”
There’s just no going back from there.
Seriously, I live in the South by choice and one of the reasons is because I don’t like cold weather. I realize we need winter to kill bugs and to remind us how wonderful spring is but that doesn’t mean I won’t whine about it.
On Monday, the weather was gorgeous, sunny, bright and warm. And there I sat in long pants and penny loafers. What a waste.
Maybe I should have just gone …
No, no, never mind. That’s a headline I don’t even want to think about.
Lisa Voyles is Managing Editor/Sports for the Chickasaw Journal. She can be reached at 456-3771 or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- Hamby recognized for driving safety April 27, 2016
- Fast moving front rattles Chickasaw County April 29, 2016
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Musicians die but never the music April 30, 2016
- Murder/suicide ruled in Okolona Motel deaths April 30, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The Square May 1, 2016
- Mississippi black bears are on the move May 3, 2016
- DAN MULLEN: ‘No intention of ever leaving’ May 3, 2016
- Vardaman sweeps Biggersville May 3, 2016
- Okolona aldermen address downtown buildings May 3, 2016
- Houlka names consolidation commissioners May 2, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago