Flower Lovers recap year’s events
Another club year has come and gone. In May, Amory Flower Lovers Garden Club met for the 2011-2012 club year’s closing activities. During the meeting, projects for the year were reviewed. Most recent activities included the Spring Fling Luncheon and Bake Sale, a fund raising event that was well attended on April 27.
Following the April meeting, members invited the National Garden Club Disaster Relief Chairman Pat Smith; Garden Clubs of Mississippi State President Nancy Moore; State Chairman of National Disaster Jean Taylor; and Tombigbee Valley District Director Dotsy Fitts to join them May 5 for the Great American Clean-Up annual year in Smithville, where people were encouraged to get together to continue the ongoing restoration of the area following the April 27, 2011, tornado that demolished much of the area in a 10-second fury. Melissa Sierra and Geneva Moon toured the area with city personnel and were joined by Pat Smith, Nancy Moore and Dotsy Fitts as they viewed areas needing replanting. They acquired information necessary to apply for a grant from the national organization. Word has been received that the grant is forthcoming pending planning requirements that must be met by the city personnel. The grant will be applied to restoring the landscape around City Hall and the new school. Also members June Roberts, Bennie Hutto and Loretta Towles were given assignments as they joined the hundreds of workers from other locations in the clean-up project.
June 3-9 was National Garden Week. Seven members met at the home of Bennie Harrelson on June 5 to prepare arrangements for various sites in town. Following an early morning brunch, 10 arrangements were made to be taken to the nursing homes, library, Amory Regional Museum, mayor’s office and Monroe Journal office. A proclamation from the national club declaring May 3–9 as National Garden Week was placed beside each arrangement.
While at the library, 22 flower books from the private collection of Oneta Baker were presented and will be available to the public. Baker was a past flower show judge emeritus and longtime member of the club.
A proclamation signed by the mayor made National Garden Week in Amory official.
The yards well-landscaped yards of Brad and Sandra Tate, 807 North Boulevard, and of Sylvia and Pat Patterson, 311 Meadowbrook Circle. were selected as June 2012 yards of the month.
The next meeting will be Sept. 18. The location is to be announced later.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Makayla Pullen
- EDITORIAL: Collecting old fines, collecting on promises April 28, 2016
- CARA CHISM: Let’s work together for community May 1, 2016
- SCORES: Baseball Saturday, April 30 May 1, 2016
- Southeast moves closer to fire district May 2, 2016
- Houlka names consolidation commissioners May 2, 2016
- Lady Toppers down Senatobia May 5, 2016
- Houston to host National Day of Prayer today May 5, 2016
- Jones to play in NFL with with Kansas City May 5, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Balancing act May 5, 2016
- Mississippi black bears are on the move May 3, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago